Author Topic: fresh or sour  (Read 339 times)

Offline dulcevita

• Feed your enemy's pizza...and have no enemy's.
fresh or sour
« on: July 18, 2014, 05:54:56 PM »
So, I haven't used my starter or made pizza for a long while. now that i have an oven that will go hotter than 500 im up to try out some new things. so my question is is it best for the flavor of the crust to use a starter thats been constantly fed and smells fresh as can be with no trace of sour smell or is it best to use one thats sat while developed some hooch then mixed back in and fed once or twice to ramp it up and then use it. 

Offline TXCraig1

Re: fresh or sour
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:06:43 PM »
So, I haven't used my starter or made pizza for a long while. now that i have an oven that will go hotter than 500 im up to try out some new things. so my question is is it best for the flavor of the crust to use a starter thats been constantly fed and smells fresh as can be with no trace of sour smell or is it best to use one thats sat while developed some hooch then mixed back in and fed once or twice to ramp it up and then use it.

What % of starter do you plan to you. If just a couple%, it probably doesn't make much difference.

Do you want the crust to be sour?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dulcevita

• Feed your enemy's pizza...and have no enemy's.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
What % of starter do you plan to you. If just a couple%, it probably doesn't make much difference.

Do you want the crust to be sour?

EErrrrrr, good question. guess ill have to whip up a dough try it out n then post. I don't want heavily sour crust but i guess a well rounded crust

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:06:15 PM »
With most starters, is fairly difficult to get an overly sour crust.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline reeter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:28:20 AM »
At the risk of sounding harsh, it is sour dough.  It is always best to feed it a couple times, before using, after it has sat for a long time.  I will clarify that, for regular use it is best.  Pizza, no clue, but I would think an unfresh taste would not be a good thing.
reeter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:47:40 AM »
Some of us have made a couple sourdough pizzas over the years.
Pizza is not bread.