Author Topic: Pizza Sauce! Hate the game not the Player, its canned! Lol  (Read 1458 times)

Offline stmichael911

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Sauce! Hate the game not the Player, its canned! Lol
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:44:08 PM »
 ;D

Have researched and made my own several times thinking I've got it, went home (North East Pennsylvania)and worked the Church block party and noted the sauce they used.

Truth be told, some things you just can't make better then the pro's. Yes it is canned sauce, but its the Bomb! For the price and prime shipping it can't be beat. I'm on my second case order!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F9TCLAY/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Online norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Sauce! Hate the game not the Player, its canned! Lol
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 06:36:13 AM »
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this sauce. Right now I'm using Jersey Fresh with just a bit of spices and I like it very much (but always looking for a better pie).

I noticed this one has a lot of corn oil - so just wanted to find out if others like it since every one likes different things.

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 07:09:05 AM »
Sclafani's are my favorite tomatoes, so it only makes sense that I should enjoy Don Pepino, since it's made from Sclafani's, but, on the handful of occasions that I've tried it, I haven't like it.  There's a harshness to it that I don't enjoy- maybe from dried basil, or possibly from too much garlic (or maybe too much oregano). For me, it misses the mark.

Offline stmichael911

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 09:05:19 AM »
I've been making both the New York and NEPA Style of Pizza (Victory Pig Like) and find that the sauce works well on both. Really like the consistency, stays on the Pizza....

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 09:09:40 AM »
Truth be told, some things you just can't make better then the pro's.

Maybe; but pizza sauce sure as heck isn't one of them.  ???
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 04:13:55 PM »
Maybe; but pizza sauce sure as heck isn't one of them.  ???
....or sausage nuggets.  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jkb

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 08:28:26 AM »
I usually run Sclafani whole peeled tomatoes through the food mill and add a good pinch of oregano after I sauce the pie.  If you like a heavily seasoned sauce, Don Pepino is hard to beat.

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 01:54:35 PM »
I used to make my own. Then, I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KXGAAI/?tag=pizzamaking-20

I add a couple of teaspoons of dried oregano and that's it. It's got a great taste. I dare say better than my homemade one.

I got it for around $3.29 at my local Italian market. Amazon is pricey.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 02:22:54 PM »
I used to make my own. Then, I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KXGAAI/?tag=pizzamaking-20

I add a couple of teaspoons of dried oregano and that's it. It's got a great taste. I dare say better than my homemade one.

I got it for around $3.29 at my local Italian market. Amazon is pricey.
what style of pizza do you make with those?

Offline gfgman

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 02:51:09 PM »
Hey, much love for SM clones!  They are pricey, but I think the company knows they can get away it.  They are worth it to me.  I love the flavor straight out of the can, and have done many things with just the tomato and fresh basil.  I've seen a brand of imported plain, crushed SMs for $2, but for the most part SMs are hard to come by at local stores.  It's either the clones, or really expensive organic Cento.  The Cento comes with basil in it, which is a no go for me. 
I've never used the whole, but I've used the diced, which are really more like a rough chop, in soups and pasta dishes.  I used the crushed recently in some chili, and it's my go to for pizza.  For margherita style, I use it straight out of the can on to the pizza, and sprinkle with chopped fresh basil and garlic powder.  For NY style, I mash them a bit and add a little bit of oil, fresh basil, and garlic powder. 
I know many folks prefer other kinds of canned tomatoes.  I've tried other kinds and they didn't really do it for me.  These blow me away every time.  I personally think the pies taste more like home than the ones I made with 6n1's.  The 6n1's reminded me of american style chain pies I used to get in Michigan. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 04:10:39 PM »
The Cento comes with basil in it, which is a no go for me.  .

I'm just the opposite. I can open a can of Cento Italian, taste blindfolded, and tell you if there is a basil leaf in the can or not. Every now and then you find a can that didn't get a leaf or two, and I just dump them and go to the next.

Earlier this year I experimented with canning whole peeled tomatoes with my garden excess. I forgot to put basil in one jar. What a stark difference, and not just a basil flavor difference. In fact, it really isn't a basil flavor that makes it different. It changes the entire nature of the tomato flavor.  I made some pizza with the one without basil to test the difference on the pie. The flavor difference wasn't as pronounced on the pie, but still not to my taste.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »
Earlier this year I experimented with canning whole peeled tomatoes with my garden excess. I forgot to put basil in one jar. What a stark difference, and not just a basil flavor difference. In fact, it really isn't a basil flavor that makes it different. It changes the entire nature of the tomato flavor.

^^^ ^^^ 100%

It doesn't take much- for me, just a small leaf per 28 oz. can, but it makes a night and day difference.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 04:22:53 PM »
sauce is the boss...

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »
I'm just the opposite. I can open a can of Cento Italian, taste blindfolded, and tell you if there is a basil leaf in the can or not. Every now and then you find a can that didn't get a leaf or two, and I just dump them and go to the next.

I remember learning about this. It had to do with the way the government was taxing produce compared to the tax on sauces. Tomato companies would add a leaf of basil to the can to make it sauce instead of produce and thereby have a lower cost (same thing Canadians were doing to get cheese from the US). At first pizzerias and other places were upset about the addition of basil to tomatoes, but once the loophole was closed and they tried to remove the basil it couldn't be undone. So now they still come with a leaf of basil in it for this reason.

I have no links to a source for this. However the person I got this info from is fairly reputable.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »
sauce is the boss...

Too bad your posts aren't.  ;)
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 05:25:11 PM »
Too bad your posts aren't.  ;)
Not according to many others....I prefer to delineate the day to day dull drum stuff to you.   You seem good at that.  :)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »
I remember learning about this. It had to do with the way the government was taxing produce compared to the tax on sauces. Tomato companies would add a leaf of basil to the can to make it sauce instead of produce and thereby have a lower cost (same thing Canadians were doing to get cheese from the US). At first pizzerias and other places were upset about the addition of basil to tomatoes, but once the loophole was closed and they tried to remove the basil it couldn't be undone. So now they still come with a leaf of basil in it for this reason.

I have no links to a source for this. However the person I got this info from is fairly reputable.

I don't know, but this sounds like an urban legend to me - like something that grew by word of mouth out of Nix v. Hedden. Surely if it were true, they would have also had to label it tomato sauce which would pretty much defeat the purpose.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 05:43:56 PM »
Not according to many others....I prefer to delineate the day to day dull drum stuff to you.   You seem good at that.  :)

Good idea. Content is definitely not your thing.   :)
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 05:53:04 PM »
Good idea. Content is definitely not your thing.   :)
Never said it was and most any rational person here understands that....we all have our place in life...ain`t it grand!?    :)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »
Never said it was and most any rational person here understands that....we all have our place in life...ain`t it grand!?    :)

Praise God.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan