Author Topic: Stanislaus  (Read 2342 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Stanislaus
« on: October 28, 2004, 09:04:20 PM »
Hi folks,

I was in my local Italian Centre market today, and saw a can of Stanislaus "Full Red" Crushed Tomatoes.  I remembered everybody talking about Stanislaus on here, so I snatched up a can.

I took it home and haven't had a chance to open it yet; but in doing some more reading on here, I see people talking about Stanislaus's "Pizza Sauce".  Do you anticipate that there's a significant difference between "pizza sauce" and "crushed tomatoes"?  Duh, I guess there would be.  Is there a good way to turn these crushed tomatoes into a good pizza sauce?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re:Stanislaus
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 11:15:45 PM »
Canadave,

Steve recently posted a link to some recipes at the Stanislaus website, and RedGreene recently posted an article with the password to get into the Stanislaus website to poke around.  The website is at http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/home_pass.asp, and the password to type in is "freshpack" (without the quotes).  Once you get into the website, you can look at all of the different products, recipes, tips, etc.  It's actually quite informative, and you may answer your own question.  You will note, among other things, that there are several different products sold under the Full Red brand.  You may want to check which one you bought today.  If it is just plain tomatoes, usually all you will need to do is add some dried oregano, basil, freshly-ground pepper, etc. (the site recommends cooking or boiling the herbs before adding the tomatoes).  You can also use some of the Penzeys pizza sauce seasoning if you have it, or the other one I believe you have mentioned before as being available in Canada (is it Loretta's or something like that?).  And you can add things like olive oil and grated Parmesan or Romano cheese if you'd like (and maybe a tad of sugar if you like a sweeter sauce).  If you have the Full Red pizza sauce rather than the plain Full Red tomatoes, you may not have to do anything with the sauce.  My own experience (with the comparable 6-in-1s) is that it is best not to try to get too fancy with the tomatoes and try to preserve their freshness and sweetness as much as possible (which usually means little or no cooking).

Peter
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 11:27:40 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re:Stanislaus
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 11:26:44 PM »
Peter,

Yep, it's not the "Pizza Sauce"...it's "Crushed Tomatoes."  Your idea on the Loretta's spices is a good one--I'll try that.

Dave

pizzapan