Author Topic: found: 6-in-1 Tomatoes!!!  (Read 4868 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
found: 6-in-1 Tomatoes!!!
« on: April 14, 2004, 12:05:26 AM »
OK...this is crazy, in a good way.  I've been reading with envy everybody's posts about how good their pizza sauce is with the 6-in-1 tomatoes.  I think I went to Escalon's website once a long time ago and looked up shipping to Canada, and they either didn't ship at all here, or did ship but at an exorbitant amount.  So I gave up on the idea of ever using 6-in-1 tomatoes!

Anyway, today, I arrived a half-hour early for class, and I decided to go visit the Italian Centre market near my school to kill a half-hour, and see if they have some interesting cheese I might be able to use for pizza, since I just mixed two batches of NY pizza dough.  So I go there, look around for a bit, but don't really see anything I want to buy.  I'm about to leave--but on a whim, I decide to go have a look at their sauces/tomato section.  Guess what I found in the aisle?????

Cans and cans and cans of ESCALON 6-in-1 All-Purpose Ground Tomatoes!!!!!!  For under $2.00 per can!!!!!!!  

I canNOT believe it.  The Italian Centre market never sold them before...I always used to check the aisle to see what tomatoes/sauces they had, and they only had some other imported tomatoes.  I gotta find the sauce recipes you guys use, and I'm hoping to make some sauce for my pizza tomorrow.

I am SO happy!

Dave
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 12:06:48 AM by canadave »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re:found: 6-in-1 Tomatoes!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 07:51:57 AM »
Life is good Dave .
Try Steve's recipe on the New York pizza page.

Randy

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 08:19:21 AM »
Make a Chicago style pizza... spoon the 6-in-1 tomatoes directly from the can onto the pizza. Add a little oregano, some fresh basil, and some fresh garlic!  8)

Here's a link to Randy's 6-in-1 sauce recipe:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/yabbse/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=112;start=msg808#msg808
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 08:22:23 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 10:52:49 AM »
You're so lucky.  I'm going to order some soon myself.  As well as some of that flour everyone is raving about here.
Trancending time, an age old battle with no victor...

An eternal struggle withthin every being...

The threads of fate which bind the very essence of existence...

Thick crust, or thin?

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 11:01:35 AM »
Wayne,

As long as you live in the USA, you'll be fine with ordering the 6-in-1 and the KA flour.  It's just for us poor Canucks that there's problems getting this stuff (it costs like $30 shipping to get a bag of KA flour across the border!)

Thanks Steve, Randy for the recipes.  I'll have to play around a bit!

Dave

Offline Pizzaholic

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 04:11:21 PM »
Wayne
Your from Louisiana right
Try left over shrimp or crawfish boil on a pizza with crabmeat and a bit of lemon zest. use mozzerella or gouda or provalone or a combination of the cheeses. Use the garlic from the boil too.
Talk about good!!!
Sausage that is leftover is awsome on a pizza too
That is if you have leftover boil!
Pizzaholic

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 01:23:25 AM »
Wow.  Made some sauce with the 6-in-1.  FanTAStic.  The pizza was absolutely awesome.  Thanks guys!!

Dave

Pizzacko

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 08:53:29 PM »
Dave.....dude.....what city do you live in?!?!?! Man!!!!!!!! I just saw this post today. Or else I would have been screaming for joy. Tell me where that store is! :D

stock

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 09:19:27 PM »
this must be a good time for 6-in-1 discoveries.  this morning, i felt unusually sluggish, so instead of jogging up into the hills, i stayed on the city streets and happened to run by the 'better' of the two safeways near me.  as one might have already guessed, i too am now the proud owner of some cans of 6-in-1 all purpose ground tomatoes.  i've called this safeway before, and asked if they carried 6-in-1 canned tomatoes; i wonder if the employee even bothered to check when he put down the phone to 'go and find out'?  or, perhaps it's a new item.  at any rate, i'm happy, though i do wish they had the peeled variety (i don't have a food mill, and i'm hoping the skins don't bug me).
-scott
*edit* missing word
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 11:45:01 PM by stock »

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 11:05:38 PM »
Congratulations, Scott! :)  Wow, that's cool that we both found the mother lode at around the same time ;)

Pizzacko, I live near Edmonton; the store I found the 6-in-1 in is in Edmonton downtown, and it's called the "Italian Centre".  It's a specialty Italian grocery here in Edmonton...unfortunately I don't think they'd be able to ship anywhere else, either :(

Dave

Pizzacko

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2004, 08:18:14 PM »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

..............I Live in Toronto. :(

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2004, 01:29:20 PM »
Pizzacko, have you tried going down to Toronto's Little Italy and finding a specialty grocery there?  There's got to be a place that sells them.  Ask around, I bet you one of them could lead you to the right place.

Dave

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 03:25:45 PM »
My heart goes out to you "Canadian" members.

I have the same problem. USA products are not to be had here in Hamburg, Germany. Some of the larger Supermarkets have an American Shelf or corner, but are very limited to 10 or 15 items. The prices are also skyrocket high. None of the Brands mentioned here are available to us. I do alot of experimenting looking for the best product and taste.

Since you are though on the same continent, there must be some cheaper rate for delivery to your city or Provence. Or why not just make a small trip over the border?

Pierre

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2004, 01:37:49 AM »
Pizzacko,

I found a website for the Italian Centre market where I got the 6-in-1 tomatoes (I just went by there today and picked up a whole bunch of cans).  It's got contact info on it; I suggest you give them a call and ask whether they could ship you some cans.  I have a feeling they might! :)

http://www.italiancentre.ca

Dave

Pizzacko

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2004, 08:55:11 PM »
wow........thanks alot canadave! I can't wait to get my hands on some 6in1 tomatoes.

Offline skywalker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2004, 10:27:38 PM »
I found 6-in-one ground tomatoes at my local Gordon food Supply (GFS) store in the 105 oz. cans for about $4.50!  I make a batch, freeze the leftover sauce in plastic ice cube trays, and pop the cubes into one-gallon ziplock bags.  I usually end up with two bags full.  

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2004, 04:05:22 AM »
for anyone in southern california, claros italian market has 6 in 1. You can also buy online it appears, at www.claros.com. $1.79 a can

Offline cebe11

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2004, 12:02:27 PM »
Pizzacko:

I too have searched high and low for the 6 in 1 brand in Canada.  I'm in Burlington, just west of TO, did you have any luck finding a source??  I wish Escalon would ship here, but they won't.
Thanks for and help!

Love this site.

cebe11

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2004, 12:40:59 PM »
cebe: read my post in this thread about five items up ;)  I found mine at the Italian Centre in Edmonton; I posted their website--if you contact them they might ship you a few cans.

If you go that route, also see if they can ship you some Loretta's Pizza Seasoning....I found that made a HUGE difference in the taste of the sauce with the 6-in-1.

Dave