Author Topic: Nashville, Tennessee best Pizza ?  (Read 2670 times)

Offline pmanager

• I Love Pizza!
Nashville, Tennessee best Pizza ?
« on: September 13, 2005, 04:49:01 PM »
Love to hear what people think is the best Pizza in Nashville , Tennessee  I am also trying to find the original owners of Obie's Pizza in Nashville on Elliston Place.

Offline cdodson

• Mmmmmm...pizza.
    • Wild Flours Bread Company
Re: Nashville, Tennessee best Pizza ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 04:06:46 PM »
Is Obie's still in Nashville?  I moved from there five years ago so I'm just curious.  I always enjoyed their pizza.  At the time it was the closest thing you could get to deep-dish Chicago style.  After living in Chicago and relocating to Nashville I realized that their seasoning fell short of the real thing, but it was still good.  I liked those old wooden benches that they allowed grafitti on.  And the way they would serve drinks in a metal bucket filled with ice was a nice touch also.

I too would be curious which Nashville pizzerias have high rankings.  I read somewhere a new place has opened up at the end of Music Row where all the tourist traps use to be.  Pizza Perfect in Hillsboro Village was always consistent and simple.   I ate there a lot because they sold pizza by the slice round the clock.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 04:12:49 PM by cdodson »
Carey

The power of cheese

Offline pmanager

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 05:11:35 PM »
Obies is long gone, It has changed hands several times and gets worse each time and the old atmosphere is gone as well.

In my opinion the best pizza in Nashville is House of Pizza in the arcade downtown or Joey's House of pizza in brentwood, they used to work together in the Aracde , and now each own there own place so the Pizza is almost identical. It is great at either place.  The Arcade location is older and has that kinda Obies mystic, where the decor is of no concern and the Pizza is the reason for being also the arcade is open on saturday until about 4pm.  Our favorite thing is to go about 2 in the afternoon and get a fresh hand made pie.  Because of the offices in downtown Nashville you cannot get inside that place on a weekday lunchtime the line is out the door and into the street. .

Also we just tried Guido's in Cool Springs and it was really good and I will go there again. They have a flat , thin , hand tossed pizza very similar to what you get on the streets of NY.

Offline DaveKass

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 04:54:54 AM »
House of Pizza is definitely the best in nashville.  Nashville pizza really struggles in general.

Offline shack319

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 08:34:36 PM »
The original owner of Obies Pizza was Jerry Van Heltebrake Jr. He came from Chicago and opened it aroung 1976 or so. By the time I started working there, he had been murdered by some crazy guy and his parents, "Mr. and Mrs. Van" as we so endearingly referred to them as took over the business. Working at Obies was fun and crazy in those days. I worked there as a pizza maker in 1979 and worked my way up to "the master of the ovens" in 1980. Trish (Mr. and Mrs. Van's daughter) worked there for a number of years. Whenever I passed through Nashville I would stop by. I also knew the artist who painted the obies mural. If you have anymore questions, feel freeto email me