Author Topic: Questions about sourdough culture  (Read 5368 times)

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
Questions about sourdough culture
« on: July 07, 2006, 08:28:09 AM »
I recently joined this forum and find it fascinating. And my wife thought I was carried away with my pizza experiments!  Though I have been baking pizza in a brick oven for three years, I am always looking to improve the product and inspired by a posting on sourdough culture, I decided to make the plunge. Despite buying "Classic Sourdoughs" and a booklet, "Italian Sourdough Cultures" along with two Italian cultures, I am having a lot of questions.  I began the procedure but it was soon apparent that it had become contaminated. I have begun the wash procedure and after three washings, things seem to be improving,e.g. the hooch was at the top this morning. Here are my questions: 1) How can I tell when it has been sufficiently cleansed? The booklet says when the culture "becomes active 2-4 hours after the last feeding."  What does active mean?  2) If it is cleansed, now what? Where do I jump back into the culture activation process?  I find that using book to make this culture is almost like using a book to learn how to dance. Any help would be appreciated.

bakerbill

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Questions about sourdough culture
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 11:40:43 AM »
You can tell if it has been sufficiently cleansed if there is no longer any off-smell and the hooch is on the top. Then you can resume normal activation procedure. You may need to continue the regular feedings for a week or even more.

I usually give my cultures about 4 hours to become fully active after feeding. The volume of starter will have about doubled with a nice head of bubbles and a fragrance to die for.

Bill/SFNM

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 10:08:40 AM »
bakerbill,
I have the same cultures and started with the Ischia. I too ran into the contamination issue shortly after starting but after following the instructions regarding washing it was only a matter of a few days and soon I had a good supply of Italian starter. I don't have the fragrance that Bill was talking about (there is definately a distinct and fragrant aroma but I don't have the intensity that I think Bill is referring to) and I am not convinced that what we cultivate at our individual homes is going to be the same, even though we supposedly all start with the same product, there are so many variables such as quality of water and airborne bactieria that I believe we all have some sort of "hybrid" of the original. I am very happy with what I have however and I have made dozens of bread loaves and pizzas with the stuff and it is definately a worthwhile effort. Another thing, once you do get these cultures active they seem to be virtually impossible to harm.

By the way, most of us on this site really love to see pictures from other members projects, whether it be pizza or the ovens that bake them. We would sure love to see that brick oven of yours and some pictures of the products it produces.

Good luck with the starters, they will work out for you I'm sure.

Dan

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 05:27:27 PM »
Thanks for those replies. They were helpful. I have done the washing and all signs point to a proper cleansing. The aroma is pleasant. Now I am patiently feeding the culture every 12 hours. This is the fourth day since cleansing and while there are some bubbles on top, how much is enough and what is the typical amount of time, if there is such a thing, for the culture to be ready?
I have attempted to attach a few pictures.   By the way, yesterday I made 15 pizzas from 3 recipes: Neapolitan (with Caputo flour), New York style from Diane Morgan's book(without the olive oil) and NeoNeapolitan from Peter Reinhart using KASL. I found that 5 minutes at about 600-650 degrees works best in the brick oven, and I was pleased with all the results though each type has its own character.

bakerbill

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 05:56:42 PM »
How much is enough and what is the typical amount of time, if there is such a thing, for the culture to be ready?

Bakerbill,

Here is a photo of a fully active Italian culture. It was fed 4 hours ago and has increased in volume about 75%. Hope this helps.

Bill/SFNM

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 10:20:06 PM »
It looks like you've got it right where you want it! Id'e say get to baking!!

BTW the picture of your pizza looks great, is that with the Italian starter?

Dan

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 11:20:44 AM »
Thanks for the response. My culture looks somwhat like the picture you supplied, but it has increased no where by 75%.  It's a very thin layer of bubbles.  I am wondering how long I continue to feed it before throwing it all out and starting over again. It is now in its 5th day.

As for the pizza picture, it was from a NY style recipe in Diane Morgan's book and did not use the culture . Use of the culture appears off in the future as of now.

bakerbill

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 11:26:29 AM »
Bakerbill, please don't give up and throw it away.  Activation can sometimes take a very long time, but since you see bubbles you are going to end up with a vibrant culture eventually.  You will be rewarded for your perseverance I promise! I have gone through this twice and both times my culture was contaminated at the start.  Now I have powerful and flavorful wild yeast.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 11:40:21 AM »
I am wondering how long I continue to feed it before throwing it all out and starting over again. It is now in its 5th day.

bakerbill,
Some of my cultures have taken almost 2 weeks for the initial activation. This style of baking requires a special commitment that is well worth it. Scott is absolutely right.

Bill/SFNM

Offline PizzaBrasil

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 12:38:43 PM »
bakerbill,

The best temperature for rising the sourdough culture is 29 C 84,2 F.
You would like to maintain your culture growing up at this temperature.
The sourdough culture is tolerant to lower temperatures, however it will die over 35 C 95F.

Luis

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 03:57:54 PM »
Thanks for all the reassurances. I will keep at it and will let you know.  I tried to post three pictures the last time, but only the pizza showed up so here is an attempt to get a piece of the brick oven in the picture.

Offline Kinsman

• Pizza & ribs......
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 03:08:26 PM »
A bit late here, but-
I'd like to echo the previous posts, and add some thoughts of my own:

It does take a bit to get the things going. My first couple of weeks I sat on the culture like a mother hen and in retrospect it probably was contaminated, or at least slow to get going. After that, the thing really took off though, and there was no question about it.

Once you have the culture really established, it will take quite a bit of abuse, like being left alone for a week on the counter, and still recover quite nicely. Once or twice I thought I had killed the little buggers and I spent another few anxious days watching and waiting. I simply fed the culture daily whether it needed it or not and in a few days I had it roaring right along again.

I now keep two cultures going: one in the fridge which gets fed every two weeks, need it or not, and my working stock (just lives on the counter) which gets used at least twice a week. I also like to take a sample of it when it's really at full kraeusen, pour a thin layer onto foil, dry it then grind it up in a food processor. Then I have a dry culture which can be shared (or stored for if I ever really do kill it).

I have had this bunch going for over four years and I don't see why it shouldn't last forever. It is really wonderful stuff: Pizza, bread, tempura, fixes trucks, cures colic, works on stains.........did I mention it makes great pizza the world's best pizza?
Chris Rausch

Long Riders BBQ
Florence, Montana

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 04:42:06 PM »
It is really wonderful stuff:  Pizza, bread, tempura, fixes trucks, cures colic, works on stains

Tempura? Really? Please elaborate. Thanks/

Bill/SFNM

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 04:35:37 PM »
Eleven days ago, I started up the Ischia Island culture after having washed it. The aroma is still very pleasant, but the layer of bubbles is thin. I was encouraged by members of this forum to stay with it for a while, and I have.  However, at this point, I am thinking of putting it in the refrigerator and then taking it out tomorrow, going through some of the activation steps as outlined in one of the posted messages and trying it out in a pizza recipe despite the odds that it is sufficiently developed. The other alternatives are 1) keep feeding or 2) throw it out and start again with the second Italian culture. Any thoughts would be appreciated.  By the way, I appreciate the interest members of this forum have shown about my culture.

bakerbill

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »
but the layer of bubbles is thin.

Are you seeing any kind of increase in the bubble layer with each feeding or is the situation pretty much static?

I would guess that your starter isn't strong enough to be used yet.

Bill/SFNM

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 05:23:19 PM »
The situation is static as far as I can tell.  Any ideas as to the likely outcome?

bakerbill

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 06:24:45 PM »
The situation is static as far as I can tell.  Any ideas as to the likely outcome?

I can't predict your outcome, but in my case, even for those cultures that required a long time for initial activation, there was visible improvement with each feeding.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 12:44:16 PM »
Hey, Bakerbill,
i had many issues with my starter in the beginning and i would say it took a few months to really get going and be used for baking. hang in there, the flavor is worth it.
Christopher

Offline Kinsman

• Pizza & ribs......
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 12:10:37 PM »
For tempura I just get a big starter going and wait until it's mostly done with the active phase and getting sour and thinner....then I add a bit of flour, and use that.  Sometimes I might add some salt, sugar or other top-secret herbs and spices but it's pretty good all by its lonesome.

It makes a really light and fluffy coating, perfect for fish or shrimp or onion rings or pickles or.......
Chris Rausch

Long Riders BBQ
Florence, Montana

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2006, 02:16:46 PM »
Here's a short video of my starter and how it looks when I use it:

http://www.think2020.com/jv/Dough/CultureFoam.mov

and my main set of instructions on how to use it:

http://www.think2020.com/jv/recipe.htm

pizzapan