Author Topic: For those who run a pizza business. How do you manage your inventory of dough? +  (Read 423 times)

Offline amooola

• I Love Pizza!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline pizzeoli

• I Love Pizza!
We just opened October 8th. We are only open at night for the moment. I mix 22 lbs of flour every batch which produces approx 60 (9 oz) dough balls (5 Trays). Right now I am doing 1 batch every day around 12pm letting it rise 24 hours then balling it up the next day. After that it goes into the refrigerator where it can be used after 24 hours of rising in the fridge. At any given time I have 150-200 dough balls.  Our first night we did around 100 pizzas and our second night we did 54. We should do about 80-120 Friday and the same Saturday. Our recipe is 22 lbs 00 flour, 5.5 liters of Water, 8 oz salt and 2 teaspoons instant yeast.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Pizzeoli:
You should also be paying close attention to the finished (mixed) dough temperature. To keep track of the dough inventory for FIFO rotation, many operators use different colored bough boxes, or you can just use a grease pencil to mark the date on the end/side of each box. If you will e-mail me at <thedoughdoctor@hotmail.com> I will be glad to send you a copy of a dough management procedure that works very well either as is or with some modifications in many retail store operations. In your case consistency is the name of the game and this dough management procedure is designed to provide you with the greatest level of dough consistency.
Also, be aware that the American Institute of Baking is once again offering its annual pizza seminar during the week of October 27th. To get more information on this course please go to the AIB web site at <www.aibonline.org> This year the direction of the course is "back to basics". A complete agenda is shown on their web site. This is a great course for any operator, but especially newer operators who want to learn more about pizza production and formulation.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline pizzeoli

• I Love Pizza!
Pizzeoli:
You should also be paying close attention to the finished (mixed) dough temperature. To keep track of the dough inventory for FIFO rotation, many operators use different colored bough boxes, or you can just use a grease pencil to mark the date on the end/side of each box. If you will e-mail me at <thedoughdoctor@hotmail.com> I will be glad to send you a copy of a dough management procedure that works very well either as is or with some modifications in many retail store operations. In your case consistency is the name of the game and this dough management procedure is designed to provide you with the greatest level of dough consistency.
Also, be aware that the American Institute of Baking is once again offering its annual pizza seminar during the week of October 27th. To get more information on this course please go to the AIB web site at <www.aibonline.org> This year the direction of the course is "back to basics". A complete agenda is shown on their web site. This is a great course for any operator, but especially newer operators who want to learn more about pizza production and formulation.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Thank you! I would love to see the dough management procedure.  pizzeoli@gmail.com

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
I grew up in the NYC/NJ pizza scene and never had a clue that pizza could be, IMO, butchered so bad and still people will buy it.   Back home if you didn't come out of the gate top shelf you were dead instantly.  I was taught by life long pizza making elders and it is an art vs. butchered (what I often see around the country).   Since living in CA, TX, and now OH, I have seen more people running shops that have no clue to dough, pizza, or ovens.  Just Friday I was at a shop that will remain unamed that had 18 full sheet pans on a rolling rack with 6 dough balls on each sheet pan sitting next to the oven.  I played dumb and asked to feel a dough ball.  It was skinned over like a rock.  They took this dough and rolled it out with a rolling pin, docked it, put it on a round pizza tray, and put it back on the  rack ready for toppings and baking.  This was at 2pm and this dough was for the dinner rush.  By then it would as hard as a rock.   Yet they sell all the dough everyday.  I see this kind of dough management all the time.  Tom Lehman will get you on track.  He is the highest pizza authority I know of. 

We basically do this:

ice water into mixer - flour, yeast, salt, add oil about 1/2 way into the mix
mix approx 7 minutes total
immediately ball and put in fridge

dough is good for 2-7 days with the sweet spot for handling and taste between days 3-5

one of our typical slices
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:36:33 PM by waltertore »