Author Topic: NY Pizza in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Let's do it again!  (Read 253 times)

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Supporting Member
  • If you learn how to listen, everyone is a guru
NY Pizza in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Let's do it again!
« on: October 04, 2014, 03:32:28 AM »
Well, just 5 months after opening our first place, we are building out a second store .  I've been looking forward to this for a few reasons.  1.  There was such a learning curve building the first one, from finding suppliers, to training staff to creating the menu and whole bunch of other stuff that I wanted to use that knowledge in building a new location. 

We are looking at a November 15th opening and a couple of weeks ago I started training new pizza guys, so that we'll have two 3-man teams and one floater.  The training is going great, so it should be plug and play when the new place is ready.  Using the same oven (why screw around with something that works) and it will be the same menu.

The big difference is we are also putting together a central commissary that will be supplying both locations.  I think I'll be able to add only 1 or 2 to my current prep team in order to make everything needed to distribute to the two stores.  I'm setting this up almost like a franchise situation, where the store places and order at the end of the night for the next day and a truck will deliver everything needed for that day:  portioned ingredients, dough, sauce, cleaning materials, clean uniforms and towels, paper goods and beverages.  Everything should fit in a holding refrigerator/freezer with the idea that at the end of the day, everything is empty. 

Also, we'll "charge" each store for every items, so we'll have a handle on a daily basis what our real food costs are, as well as payroll and of course revenue.  To me, this is the third most important part of the strategy, with #1 being consistency of product and #2 being synergistic cost savings.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys updated like I did with the first store.  This might be of some help to those looking to expand.

I leave you with some pictures of the raw space we just took over - before any demo work has been started.  It was a Taiwanese Tea and Pork Chop House that we bought out of their lease, as the location is prime (at least to us it's prime - same demographics as our first location).

Offline lzzjp

• I Love Pizza!
Re: NY Pizza in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Let's do it again!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 11:15:56 AM »
Ciao,
It's great to see someone doing well abroad. If isn't easy at home, imagine in unknown lands...
I am going to have my pizzeria here in Japan, but first  I m looking for a place to set up it and also to find out where to buy the ingredients.

By any chance would you know any distributors in Asia? I am having trouble in finding flour and cheese.

I appreciate any information.

Come visit me here in the Japanese Alps, nice ski resorts and hot springs!

Cheers

Offline kdefay

Re: NY Pizza in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Let's do it again!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 12:57:46 AM »
That space has great potential, Andrew.  I'm really enjoying watching the development of your project in KL.