Author Topic: Visiting NYC,CHI,HOU,PHO,LA,LV  (Read 338 times)

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Visiting NYC,CHI,HOU,PHO,LA,LV
« on: July 27, 2014, 01:28:48 AM »
Hi guys,

next month I have three weeks to the States. I am doing NYC-Chicago-Houston-Scottsdale-Vegas-Mexico-LA

Every time i visit LA, I make sure I go to Sotto. I have also been reading good things about Keste, but as I only have 6 dinners in the states.. Is it going to be standout, downright amazing? (Given the quality in Melbourne and also that I get to Italy at least once a year).

Or should I leave the pizza and enjoy what is sure to amount to copious amounts of burgers, BBQ, Italian, middle eastern etc. :)

scott123

Re: Visiting NYC,CHI,HOU,PHO,LA,LV
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 01:40:58 AM »
I don't think I've ever met anyone who's been to Keste and thought it was 'standout, downright amazing.'  It has a pretty big fan base, and makes it on a lot of lists, but 'downright amazing,' to me, is one of a kind, and I think achieving a one of a kind Neapolitan pizzeria is an incredibly difficult task.

Neither Naples nor any of the cities you've listed will have Williamsburg quality NY style pizza.  If you're coming to NY, that's what I'd recommend.  Not for dinner, but for lunch.  While you're downtown, I might also swing by Prince street for a square.

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 06:44:49 PM »
Sorry I forgot to mention, I'm a Neo lover.

Thanks for the tip Scott. If i'm in (brooklyn)? I will be sure to visit.

scott123

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 04:29:31 AM »
Sorry I forgot to mention, I'm a Neo lover.

I know ;D That's because you've never had great NY style pizza :) For the first time in years, great, readily accessible NY style pizza exists in Manhattan.  Coming to NY and not eating NY style pizza would be like going to Naples and avoiding Neapolitan pizza. It would be ludicrous, imo. Don't make this contingent on a trip to Brooklyn.  The Manhattan location is just as good- and exponentially easier to get to.

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2013/12/williamsburg_pizza_comes_to_the_lower_east_side.php

277 Broome St. - the D subway line will take you straight there from midtown (if that's where you're staying)

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Times+Square,+New+York,+NY&daddr=Williamsburg+Pizza,+277+Broome+Street,+New+York,+NY+10002&hl=en&ll=40.721177,-73.988543&spn=0.041372,0.048323&sll=40.737437,-73.990259&sspn=0.041362,0.048323&geocode=FW_ubQIdlROX-yEuB66hxU4ZVSmZAkjGVVjCiTEuB66hxU4ZVQ%3BFd1PbQIdFfyW-ylzFugNh1nCiTH9XE0F3cT3UA&oq=time+square&gl=us&dirflg=r&ttype=now&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ltm&t=m&z=14&start=0
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:35:16 AM by scott123 »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 03:01:15 PM »
I have eaten pizza in all of those places, except Mexico and Houston.

Curious how you have 3 weeks in the states but only 6 dinners?

Taste is obviously going to vary, but if you wanted to know the famous/frequented Neo places to visit in each city I can give you that for a head start.

LA = Mozza
Vegas = Setebello
Chicago = Spacca Napoli
Scottsdale (phoenix) = Biancos
NY = Motorino

Ive eaten at all these places and Setebello, Spacca, and Motorino all offer the more "authentic" version. Motorino is the best of the group. Mozza and Biancos are more of a hybrid with their own twists. Biancos is/was considered by many to be the best Pizzeria in the US.

I would also add, Luzzos is next door to Motorino and is worth a stop in. I really like coal pizza. And in Chicago, if you want a deep dish, try Pequods. It is so much better than any other deep dish I had at the more famous places like Unos and Malnatis.