Author Topic: Neapolitan Pies - First time in a long time - would like criticism and pointers  (Read 758 times)

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Hi:

As mentioned in the subject, I made a couple of Neapolitan pies tonight for the first time in a few months.  I usually cook pies in the 700s and I guess you would call them Neo-Neapolitans or Elite NY or something like that.

Anyway, I would appreciate some feedback and pointers so I can improve next time.

The dough was Caputo 00, 64% hydration, 2.8% salt, 10% Starter.  It was mixed by hand and bulk fermented for 12 hours, divided and then fermented another 12.  It was kept at a temperature of about 64 degrees until the last hour for a little warmup.

I did not measure the floor temperature when I launched but I think it was in the high 800s and I had a very busy fire going.  Both cooked in 70 seconds.

My own comments:

- a little too much char on the bottom.  It distracted from the overall flavor.  I guess I should have gotten it off the floor a little sooner.
- a little more sauce next time
- the cheese did not melt (whole foods store brand) as much as I would have wanted it too.  I am not sure what to do about that to change things.  Maybe another brand?

Overall very good, but my usual pies are better.  So, I need to improve here.......

I welcome help here.

Thanks,
Mitch

Online moose13

I got nothin'
Those look awesome  :drool:

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
I know man...I think it`s one of those trick question thingies!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
I know man...I think it`s one of those trick question thingies!
I got nothin'

Thanks guys, much appreciated.  They were pretty good, don't get me wrong.  But, they were not great and the char really did bug me.

Not a trick question.  I was a math teacher a long time ago, so I certainly could conjure one up. Ask me about the "Guzunta Function" sometime......

- M

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Show off!

What was the oven?

Online moose13

I had a few in a row get overcharred.
I know what you mean.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:32:15 PM by moose13 »

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Show off!

What was the oven?

It is a FGM 700.  The smallest oven in the line. 

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
I had a few in a row get overcharred.
I know what you mean. Char is good but too much is just too much.
Overwhelms the entire pie.

I think my reflexes are too slow for these fast baking pies.  I need to work on the heat balance or knowing to get them off the floor sooner and then get better at doming.

Offline TXCraig1

Looks good from here. I'm not seeing the char problem?
Pizza is not bread.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Looks good from here. I'm not seeing the char problem?

Hmm.

I wonder if it is just my taste buds. 

or

I floured the board with a mix of rice flour and semolina (probably 2/3 , 1/3).  I do not think it was more than usual but maybe it was bitterness from flour on the bottom?

Offline TXCraig1

I can't taste them obviously, but I don't see anything excessive.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
I got nothin'

Me either....  They look great...  must be cooking with some good 18 yr old.... ;D

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
If you think that's too much char, you would HATE my pizzas  ;D

Those look good to me.  What specifically (besides the minimal char) didn't you like about them?

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Hi Robyn:

The taste of the char was pretty dominant, putting other flavors in the background.  A little bitter (which is why I thought it may be too much flour on the peel - although it was no more than usual, etc. and mostly rice flour).

I have lots of leftover slices.  I will have one later and recheck - maybe I hit a particularly bad spot on a slice or something.

BTW, any recommendations on the cheese (I know you are semi-local, I am in Oakland)?  The Whole Foods cheese was a bit rubbery.  Since I usually bake at a lower temperature, I typically use brick cheese.  I have not tried many different fresh mozzarellas.

- Mitch
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:56:53 PM by mitchjg »

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
To do before next bake:  purchase Calabrese Salami @ grocery!   :drool:   That's a fine pie right there!
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline csafranek

I agree with everyone else. Those pies look great! However, we are not eating them so if you don't like them that's all that matters. Visually I think they look good though.

Chad

Offline Everlast

These look good to me. I would actually say that the under-char appears to be in the range of OK. I've had pizzas that look like that and taste fine. I've also had pizzas with less char that were bitter and I attributed it to too much bench flour. The Garofalo buffalo mozz from Costco is pretty darn good and it seems to melt OK if you want to use buffalo mozz. Here's a recent pizza I did with the Garofalo if you want to get an idea of meltability. This was 90 seconds in an 850F 2stone Inferno.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Mitch,

Cheese is a sore topic here too :-)  I'm just South of Los Gatos.  My local market only carries Galbani, which I intensely dislike (their fresh mozz).  I recently tried the Belfiore fresh mozz from a local Whole Foods, and it was vastly superior to the Galbani, but I'm not sure that's saying enough to recommend it.  I personally haven't found a fresh mozz locally that I like enough to recommend.  Sorry!

Offline Lagwepe

• I Love Pizza!
These look good to me. I would actually say that the under-char appears to be in the range of OK. I've had pizzas that look like that and taste fine. I've also had pizzas with less char that were bitter and I attributed it to too much bench flour. The Garofalo buffalo mozz from Costco is pretty darn good and it seems to melt OK if you want to use buffalo mozz. Here's a recent pizza I did with the Garofalo if you want to get an idea of meltability. This was 90 seconds in an 850F 2stone Inferno.

Everlast, hello!

Your pizza looks absolutely fantastic! What flour did you use? Could you tell us more about the recipe/process?
I am trying to achieve exactly this kind of result but so far, my few attempts using a P134H and Caputo Red have fallen short of such "glory"!  ::)

Cheers!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Everlast, hello!

Your pizza looks absolutely fantastic! What flour did you use? Could you tell us more about the recipe/process?
I am trying to achieve exactly this kind of result but so far, my few attempts using a P134H and Caputo Red have fallen short of such "glory"!  ::)

Cheers!
Let's be mindful of Mitch's thread here please.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan