Author Topic: Need help with pizza sauce recipe ingredients....  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Slow Eddie

• I Love Pizza!
Need help with pizza sauce recipe ingredients....
« on: July 09, 2006, 01:18:29 PM »
Hello everyone. Thanks to this forum I have my dough recipe down to exactly where I want it, and I first want to thank everyone for that.

Now I'm ready to start on perfecting my pizza sauce. I had a recipe that I was currently using, but I misplaced it some where which is probably a good thing. I think I was probably really over doing it on the spices. I also don't want to have to cook anything. I work a lot and need a down and dirty quick recipe that I can just throw together and refridgerate overnight for use the next day.

I like a nice basic pastey pizza sauce thats spicy and sweet. Problem is I don't know where to start with the proper amounts of spices to accomplish this goal. The base for my sauce is a 6 lb 11 ounce can of super heavy pizza sauce with basil from Smart and Final. I'd like to keep that constant if I could, and once I fine tune the spices I can work on my own tomato base.

My old ingredients were as follows:

sugar
granulated garlic
crushed red pepper
oregano
basil
parsely
salt

And thats it. I would mix those in with the sauce and refridgerate. It was ok, but could definitely be improved. Based on my desire of a spicy (I like a lot of red pepper) and sweet (more sugar?) pizza sauce, what are some recomendations for ingredients with out deviating from my mix and refridgerate work flow?

Once I get a good list of ingredients down I can work on how much of each I need to use in conjuction with my sauce base.

I appreciate all the help. I'm unfortunately living pizza free until I get a new sauce recipe.

Thanks,

Eddie

Offline julianni

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Need help with pizza sauce recipe ingredients....
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 01:44:39 AM »
HI Eddie,

We've got the same concern and just would like to know if someone has help you.  If so, would you be so kind to share it with me?

Thanks and hope to have a great pizza sauce...sweet and spicy! 

I'm a pizza lover, too.

julianni

Offline Slow Eddie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 08:43:40 PM »
Nothing yet, but this forum never fails. But I'm getting desperate.... I need some pizza. I might just wing it and see how it comes out.

Eddie

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 12:45:37 AM »
Man oh man, I like the same sauce. Unfortunately, I am a cook who never writes recipes down....I just know.
We had a place called Lee'N'Tony's here in Chicago, and I believe one of the owners opened a place in NW Indiana called Squigi's . Don't know if that the same owner NOW, though. THE perfect sweet, spicy, garlic-y sauce. I would start with a thick puree, add salt, sugar, garlic, and crushed red pepper to taste, a little basil,and alittle oregano,simmer and then refrigerate. I wish I could give measurements, but like I said....

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 03:51:13 AM »
Slow Eddie,

Consider adding some tomato paste to the mix.  If you like a 'pastey' texture it will definitely thicken up your sauce. 

When I make a sauce for an NY style pizza, I usually use 1 28oz can of 6in1 tomatoes, add about 2 Tbsp tomato paste, 1/2tsp oregano, 3/4tsp garlic powder, and some sugar (depending on how sweet the tomatoes are). 

I blend the sauce thoroughly and then refrigerate.  I never cook the sauce.   However, you might consider doing this if you want something pastey.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 08:06:59 AM »
Slow Eddie,

Of all the questions that are raised on this forum, maybe the toughest to answer are questions about sauce. Usually we are able to answer technical questions but when it comes to questions about taste in sauces, the best we are usually able to do is just offer suggestions and pointers based on our personal experiences. Also, since the seasonings and spices we use are in very small quantities (a pinch of this, a pinch of that...), it is hard to give precise measurements. Pizza operators make sauce in such large batches that they can develop sauce recipes with all the measurements specified, but such is rarely the case with home pizza sauce makers.

You might go to the Sauce Ingredients child board and scan the threads posted there and see if anything addresses your question. For example, you might look at this thread, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2129.0.html, which touches on some of the aspects of the question you raised. I am sure that there are many others that will be a source of ideas for you to consider.

Peter

pizzapan