Author Topic: First Pizza and homemade sauce.  (Read 527 times)

Offline WisconsinPie

• I Love Pizza!
First Pizza and homemade sauce.
« on: July 31, 2014, 09:26:38 PM »
First of all, I am no chef by any means I winged it.   used instant yeast 1 packet, 2 cups king arthur bread flour ,half cup whole wheat flour.   Pinch Salt and sugar.  Olive oil and hot water.   Adjusted flour and water based on feel.       

Sauce: 28 oz can cento crushed tomatoes ,bell pepper,fennel , olive oil ,2 garlic cloves , basil and oregano . Sugar black pepper and salt to taste. With a dash of red pepper flakes.    Simmered with bay leaves. 

Cooked on pizza stone at 515 .    It was pretty amazing .  Topped with Safeway Italian sausage and armour pepperoni

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: First Pizza and homemade sauce.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 09:34:04 PM »
Amazing man...simply, simply down right amazing.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 07:44:07 AM »
WisconsinPie,

If by "wheat gluten" you mean vital wheat gluten, depending on the brand, I estimate that adding a half cup of vital wheat gluten to two cups of King Arthur bread flour produces a blend with a protein content of around 24%. That compares with a protein content of around 14.2% for a high-gluten flour, which is about the highest protein content that you will find for white flours at the professional and retail levels. Did you possibly mean whole wheat flour?

Peter 

Offline WisconsinPie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 09:51:58 AM »
Whoops! Yes Pete, 

I meant  Whole Wheat Flour!.        Sorry I was typing that message on my phone and it got discombobulated. 

Offline WisconsinPie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 09:53:19 AM »
Amazing man...simply, simply down right amazing.

Your makin' me blush.       Can't wait to make another Pie today. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 10:42:40 AM »
Whoops! Yes Pete, 

I meant  Whole Wheat Flour!.        Sorry I was typing that message on my phone and it got discombobulated.
Wisconsin Pie,

That makes me feel much better  ;D. I'd hate to see someone make a pizza like yours with a half cup of vital wheat gluten. To make sure that doesn't happen, I went back to your post and corrected the error.

Peter

Offline WisconsinPie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »
Wisconsin Pie,

That makes me feel much better  ;D. I'd hate to see someone make a pizza like yours with a half cup of vital wheat gluten. To make sure that doesn't happen, I went back to your post and corrected the error.

Peter

Thanks Peter,   Nice catch.     What type of crust would you classify my crust as?   (besides amateur)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 11:20:51 AM »
Thanks Peter,   Nice catch.     What type of crust would you classify my crust as?   (besides amateur)
Wisconsin Pie,

I don't think that there is a specific classification for the crust you made. Often people just add some whole wheat flour to their doughs to get more flavor, a bit more crust coloration, and improved nutrition by putting back into the dough the good things, like bran and wheat germ, that were removed from the white flours during milling. However, too much whole wheat flour can alter the rise of the dough and the texture of the finished crust.

FYI, there is a board devoted specifically to specialty grain pizzas. It is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?board=61.0.

Peter

Offline ztravis

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 11:29:38 PM »
Wow! That looks amazing.