Author Topic: UPN Revisited; Interesting Article  (Read 2187 times)

Offline hotsawce

UPN Revisited; Interesting Article
« on: August 01, 2014, 02:17:58 PM »
I'm not sure if this article has been posted in the forum, but browsing the Eater archives I came across a detailed UPN article. It may provide more insight into Mangieri's dough. Regardless, it's a cool read. And inspiring.

http://eater.com/archives/2014/04/24/eater-elements-una-pizza-napoletana.php

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: UPN Revisited; Interesting Article
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »
Lou,

That article was noted before, and led to further discussion about eggs on pizza, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31575.msg313619#msg313619 .

Peter

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 06:17:17 PM »
Nice, might actually make one tonight....Would really like to take a dough class from him....

Chris

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 06:23:31 PM »
Nice, might actually make one tonight....Would really like to take a dough class from him....

Chris
Craig`s is free. 8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 07:19:06 PM »
Craig`s is free. 8)

I know...I wouldn't be turing out  decent pizza if it wasn't for Craig. Pizza is one thing..  Neopolitan Pizza is a total different animal and craig has a real grasp for it... I would just like to get another take on dough....  He's been doing it for a long time and the experience would be great..  I never want to stop learning.. ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 07:32:05 PM »
I know...I wouldn't be turing out  decent pizza if it wasn't for Craig. Pizza is one thing..  Neopolitan Pizza is a total different animal and craig has a real grasp for it... I would just like to get another take on dough....  He's been doing it for a long time and the experience would be great..  I never want to stop learning.. ;D
During a Tony class he will be able to teach you ZERO more than what C already offers here.
But it`s your money....
Personally, I`d much rather go visit Craig, toss some ca$h his way and get a lesson of a lifetime. He forgets more %$# than Tony has learned.   8)

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 07:40:48 PM »
During a Tony class he will be able to teach you ZERO more than what C already offers here.
But it`s your money....
Personally, I`d much rather go visit Craig, toss some ca$h his way and get a lesson of a lifetime. He forgets more %$# than Tony has learned.   8)

Do i sense a cook off in the future?  ;D  We could make it interesting and make both of them use a blackstone... :-D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 08:23:05 PM »
But it`s your money....

I'd take your cash and use it to buy good bourbon and wine for us to drink as we bake!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 08:31:29 PM »
Do i sense a cook off in the future?  ;D  We could make it interesting and make both of them use a blackstone... :-D
Hey vande...that`d be fine with me cause I know who to bet my money on.   8)
Ole Tony wouldn`t know a Blackstone if he tripped over a pile of their broken stones, whereas my boy is probably the inventor of the damn machine only he jus ain`t sayin so right now.  ;D

Chaaa ching!!   >:D

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 09:22:40 PM »
I'd take your cash and use it to buy good bourbon and wine for us to drink as we bake!

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
Hey vande...that`d be fine with me cause I know who to bet my money on.   8)
Ole Tony wouldn`t know a Blackstone if he tripped over a pile of their broken stones, whereas my boy is probably the inventor of the damn machine only he jus ain`t sayin so right now.  ;D

Chaaa ching!!   >:D

Lets set it up.. Will call anthony and get a commitment..  Will donate all proceeds to his charity to get him interested... ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »
Lets set it up.. Will call anthony and get a commitment..  Will donate all proceeds to his charity to get him interested... ;D
Ok cool....see if he`ll bring some of those neat championship belts...I always wanted to try one of those on and get a pic!  ;)

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 09:47:16 PM »
Did I read bourbon and Craig's pies?

I have some time.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 09:48:11 PM »
Ok cool....see if he`ll bring some of those neat championship belts...I always wanted to try one of those on and get a pic!  ;)

I sense a tiny bit of hostility... :o    just a feeling.. as i just finished my 10th firing.. was stellar.. and having some good 18tr old scotch to boot... so I'm feeling very receptive...  just saying Bob...  :-D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:50:12 PM by vandev »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 11:28:42 PM »
 chris, anthony is doing a week of pizza making in italy 2015.it is hosted by villa San lorenzo. not sure he will reveal it all, but you could inquirer.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 11:31:20 PM »
chris, anthony is doing a week of pizza making in italy 2015.it is hosted by villa San lorenzo. not sure he will reveal it all, but you could inquirer.

Yea..if i only had a extra 8k to play with..  ouch..  i just woke up!  :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 11:36:59 PM »
vande....sorry man, I thought you were talking about that west coast Tony with all the pizza belts. My bad. :-[

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 09:33:59 AM »
I don't like the idea of paying money to learn to make Neapolitan pizza, but if someone was dead set on doing so, I would pick Tony Gemignani over Anthony Mangieri. That's an easy call in my mind.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 10:20:34 AM »
Thanks for sharing the link, very enjoyeable read.
Il miglior fabbro

scott123

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 10:23:13 AM »
I don't like the idea of paying money to learn to make Neapolitan pizza, but if someone was dead set on doing so, I would pick Tony Gemignani over Anthony Mangieri. That's an easy call in my mind.

:o

Tony Gemignani for Neapolitan training?!?!  I'm definitely not a card carrying member of the Anthony Mangieri fan club, but I would think he could run circles around Tony. I would be hard pressed to think of any well known pizzeria owner that knew less about Neapolitan pizza than Tony.  You've seen this thread, right?:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23630.msg239977

This could be the worst Neapolitan pizza this forum has ever seen! And Tony's part owner!  Sure, he's probably just collecting a paycheck, and has nothing to do with the day to day, but it's still his name on the proverbial door.  Anyone that puts his name on a pizza of that caliber has no place whatsoever teaching Neapolitan pizza.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 10:32:09 AM by scott123 »