Author Topic: UPN Revisited; Interesting Article  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: UPN Revisited; Interesting Article
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2014, 03:45:26 PM »
Is this pie cold fermented?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2014, 03:57:54 PM »
My gut says no, but from the look of the cheese I don't think the oven was very hot so with that I will say yes it was.  Curious to hear the answer though.
-Jeff

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2014, 04:05:16 PM »
My gut says no, but from the look of the cheese I don't think the oven was very hot so with that I will say yes it was.  Curious to hear the answer though.
Jconk mobile refrigerated cake yeast dough.  8)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2014, 04:06:43 PM »
Is this pie cold fermented?

I'll play. I say yes.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2014, 04:07:57 PM »
You gave it up too quick.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2014, 04:13:02 PM »
Dang, you guys are too good...I may as well stop before I even get started on this SD thing. I`ll never be able to sneak in a ringer/fake!   ;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2014, 04:15:17 PM »
Jconk mobile refrigerated cake yeast dough.  8)

I thought it might be. His pies have a distinctive look.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2014, 04:44:24 PM »
I thought it might be. His pies have a distinctive look.
As do yours  8)  all of the big guns pies here have a recognition stamp, if you will, and it`s amazing the amount of intricacies a couple ingredients on top of a piece of dough can create. It`s what I`m studying now...what causes what, how and why.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2014, 04:50:19 PM »
As do yours  8)  all of the big guns pies here have a recognition stamp, if you will, and it`s amazing the amount of intricacies a couple ingredients on top of a piece of dough can create. It`s what I`m studying now...what causes what, how and why.

You are writing a lot of things I agree with lately. I'm not exactly sure what that means.  ;)
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2014, 05:13:49 PM »
Despite these very good points, I'm going to stick with my position, and I'm going to stress that as I noted in my original post, I'm not recommending that anyone go to either for lessons.

If you're really saying 'don't go to either,' period, then we're on the same page. The whole "if you're dead set on paying for training" qualified Tony endorsement, though- that I have an issue with.

I'm curious, for those 'dead set on paying' why does it have to be either Mangieri or Gemignani?  I'm not sure if your schedule can allow it yet, but, if you're not available, there's others. Just look around.  Matthew has to be close to being in a position to do paid training. I'm sure Omid is ready to start taking on students, if approached.  Andre's probably pretty busy still, but things have to calm down for him eventually.  Larry? Marco?  And that's just off the top of my head.

Everyone I've mentioned would be better than Anthony or Tony. Most importantly, though, none of these teachers would ever delegate the teaching to an underling, like you find with Roberto (and I'm 100% certain you'd find with Tony as well).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:23:09 PM by scott123 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2014, 05:16:44 PM »
You are writing a lot of things I agree with lately. I'm not exactly sure what that means.  ;)
Probably that the end of the World is near...once again!  :-D

But seriously, since we`re on a roll together here allow me to toss out one more thing that I am recently paying close attention to.
I`m intrigued, for some reason, how on an NP pie, different folks sauce line fades into the cornicione...different tom sauces affect this I`m sure but something tells me the dough is more at work on this situation....sometimes there is a nice gradual meld....others can often show a distinct separation in this area displaying, what looks to me, a sort of ridge where one can see a small translucent region of `under cooked?` dough.
It`s all very interesting and hard to master...this I am coming to know.
Give me a week or 2 and I`ll have it all down!   ;D

scott123

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2014, 05:18:10 PM »
That Ton'y pie shows no sign of being cold fermented in my opinion.  Cold Fermentation + Neapolitan = a very distinct look, that pie has none of the look.

If your pizza wins the 'World Cup,' regardless of how much of a sham the 'World Cup' happens to be, there's no way your ego is going to let employees mess with the recipe.  If you look at Tony's pie on Slice (that we know is cold fermented) and the pie Craig had at Tony's, you'll see that the two are not fundamentally different, just one is baked to a much darker hue.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2014, 05:31:09 PM »

But seriously, since we`re on a roll together here allow me to toss out one more thing that I am recently paying close attention to.
I`m intrigued, for some reason, how on an NP pie, different folks sauce line fades into the cornicione...different tom sauces affect this I`m sure but something tells me the dough is more at work on this situation....sometimes there is a nice gradual meld....others can often show a distinct separation in this area displaying, what looks to me, a sort of ridge where one can see a small translucent region of `under cooked?` dough.

Thats funny you mention that as i noticed that Anthony did this and i started doing a couple bakes ago and am liking the results..It ends up almost like a fade in color which i seem to favor....  but what do i know...Im only on my 10th bake... ;D

scott123

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2014, 05:34:38 PM »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2014, 05:40:32 PM »
If you're really saying 'don't go to either,' period, then we're on the same page. The whole "if you're dead set on paying for training" qualified Tony endorsement, though- that I have an issue with.

That's what I'm saying, and don't go to anyone else either for that matter. You will make better pies if you figure it out on your own, and more importantly, they will be your pies. Why would you want someone else's direct influence on your pies? How passionate could you be? The only reason I named Tony and Anthony is because they were the two that had been mentioned.

I'll throw this out there too. Despite what anyone might think about Tony, his persona, and his personality, if you think he isn't passionate about pizza, I think you are crazy. I don't agree with everything he does, and I'm sure he wouldn't agree with everything I do. Notwithstanding, I believe he cares about making good pizza, and that counts for a lot.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2014, 05:42:31 PM »

I'm sure there are lots of factors, but I'd bet that the quantity of sauce, the viscosity of the sauce, and the speed of the oven spring are all important.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »
He had a good coach.  ;D

Had? :o  still do coach.... ;D 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2014, 05:47:22 PM »
That's what I'm saying, and don't go to anyone else either for that matter. You will make better pies if you figure it out on your own, and more importantly, they will be your pies. Why would you want someone else's direct influence on your pies? How passionate could you be? The only reason I named Tony and Anthony is because they were the two that had been mentioned.

I'll throw this out there too. Despite what anyone might think about Tony, his persona, and his personality, if you think he isn't passionate about pizza, I think you are crazy. I don't agree with everything he does, and I'm sure he wouldn't agree with everything I do. Notwithstanding, I believe he cares about making good pizza, and that counts for a lot.
Well...at least he doesn`t burn pie after pie after pie like Dom does when he`s on a roll. You can tell from some of Tony`s videos that he is into it.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »
This is only your 10th bake?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=32091.0;attach=172717;image

That's impressive.

Thanks Scott..  I have a great team of people on here who make me push myself....  And you know cooking equals drinking as well.. :-D