Author Topic: UPN Revisited; Interesting Article  (Read 1921 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: UPN Revisited; Interesting Article
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »

Now you have me all curious what you wrote???
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »
Ya'll realize that is not THE pie that won, right? That picture is the pie served to the Slice contributor that wrote the story that contained the picture in question.
Yep, and didn`t he write that it looked just like the one Tony won the Title with?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2014, 08:20:55 PM »
IMO, that picture looks badly edited.

Especially compard to the many beautifully edited pictures that Scott has posted of his pies.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
Yep, and didn`t he write that it looked just like the one Tony won the Title with?

Who is "he?"
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2014, 08:44:28 PM »
He has 5 or 6 different styles of pizza on his menu.  If he can pull that off and make money, he is a rockstar.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2014, 12:14:36 AM »
Just so we're clear about this. You're defending a guy that built an empire based on the premise that this is the greatest Neapolitan pizza in the world:

There would be a long list of empires based on the "I have the greatest......." McDonald's, BK, Domino's, Pizza Hut, White Castle, Famous Dave's (except I REALLY like their mac and cheese with corn and japs)..............and they all pretty much suck, but obviously business geniuses!! But I digress, just my 2c

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2014, 08:40:52 AM »
 i visited tony's pizza rock in Vegas during the last expo. he invited our group back into the kitchen . his dough formulation and storage methods were amazing. each pizza style had a different dough and oven that he cooked in. we tried four styles and they were all very good and different in taste and texture. to me the most amazing section of the pizzeria was his slice shop that was at the entrance of the pizzeria. he had a window serving the busy sidewalk traffic and counter service, it was super busy. and it was probably the most profitable part of the whole restaurant. as Tom said if he can sell all of those styles then he is a rock star! give the man some credit!

i saw a reference to a 1.5 salt level posted by scott if he is talking about tonys neapolitan recipe that was from many years ago and was  a mistake on a video he had done

I'm not defending tony i just don't think it makes you less credible because you are successful and own multiple pizzerias. i can say that he is approachable and a very nice man who makes time for everyone.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »
I have never tasted Tony Gemignani's Neapolitan pizzas.  I don't think this article from Forbes has been posted before on the forum.  http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2014/07/18/the-best-pizzeria-in-america/  The Neapolitan pizza in the article does look very good to my eyes. 

I think Tony is a rock star too.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »
If I may be so bold, the original posting here was about an interesting article which had a lot of focus on making a pizza with egg on top.

I am planning on a neapolitan bake tonight and may give it a try.  I am unclear on how to get the egg "just right", not too cooked, not too undercooked.

I see one pointer from Craig, here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31575.msg313635#msg313635

I also found this thread on the fornobravo board.  I thought reply 8 was interesting, partially cooking the egg in advance and then putting it on the cooked pie.  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/egg-pizza-aka-bismarck-14563.html

Any other ideas?  Pointers?  Do's and don'ts?

Thanks,
Mitch
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:36:10 AM by mitchjg »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2014, 01:31:14 PM »
If I may be so bold, the original posting here was about an interesting article which had a lot of focus on making a pizza with egg on top.

I am planning on a neapolitan bake tonight and may give it a try.  I am unclear on how to get the egg "just right", not too cooked, not too undercooked.

I see one pointer from Craig, here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31575.msg313635#msg313635

I also found this thread on the fornobravo board.  I thought reply 8 was interesting, partially cooking the egg in advance and then putting it on the cooked pie.  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/egg-pizza-aka-bismarck-14563.html

Any other ideas?  Pointers?  Do's and don'ts?

Thanks,
Mitch

The original posting is a duplicate of the thread with my post that you reference above which is probably why it's never been about eggs on pizza here. The first thread is probably a more appropriate place for your post than here.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2014, 01:53:54 PM »
The original posting is a duplicate of the thread with my post that you reference above which is probably why it's never been about eggs on pizza here. The first thread is probably a more appropriate place for your post than here.

Good idea, I will do that.   This thread became nonproductive and non-entertaining quite awhile ago, IMO and at least for me.  So, going elsewhere for the advice is a good thing.

- Mitch

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2014, 10:54:16 PM »
real quick.
Tony has taken the time to speak with me the last 2 years at pizza expo even ave me his cel #! Fascinating and Passionate  yes!  Pompus Nah,  rock star yes ! He does it all would like to spend some time at the rock for sure ! One of my helpers trained with him in Ca. had some good words as well
And what are your thoughts on a real slice at a ball field ? wager to bet it blows away  any crap they call pizza at most any other stadium Period !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan