Author Topic: tasty starters?  (Read 249 times)

Offline dulcevita

• Feed your enemy's pizza...and have no enemy's.
tasty starters?
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »
About a year ago when I first heard of wild yeast starters I remember reading that they were responsible for producing  a wonderful nutty taste. But since then i've never made once thing with a special taste being nutty or otherwise using my SDS. Also ive heard people talking about the dough having cold fermented. Im not sure exactly what to look for to decide when this is achieved. is it supposed to smell like alcohol? does pizza dough ever develop nutty undertones to it? 

Offline TXCraig1

Re: tasty starters?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:12:26 AM »
I would describe my dough as having subtle nutty undertones. It's certainly not a key feature, but then I don't want the dough to have a dominant flavor. That's why I don't want it to be sour. I love good sour sourdough bread, but PIZZA IS NOT BREAD. I want a rich complex flavor.

Cold Fermented ("CF") is a process not an end-state. It refers to letting your dough ferment in the refrigerator as opposed to Room Temperature ("RT"). RT can refer to anything above 40F or so, but typically it is in the range of 60-80F. With sourdough ("SD", wild yeast, natural starter, etc.), I find the sweet spot for pizza to be at 64F +/- 1F. It's no secret that I'm not a fan of CF for any pizza dough. With baker's yeast (ADY, IDY, CY), I think it's sub-optimal. With SD, I think it's downright disastrous.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dulcevita

• Feed your enemy's pizza...and have no enemy's.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 10:56:07 AM »
Is a culture that produce's nutty undertones a trade mark of a tasty starter? Do they just inherently have the nutty taste or is it produced as the dough ferments? Ive kinda been thinking maybe I should buy or acquire some other possibly more tasty starter.

also do large bubbles on top like this indicate weak gluten structure and oven rising? also what do the bubbles on the side indicate? the pizza made from this tasted bready, not bad but bready.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:34:19 AM »
Is a culture that produce's nutty undertones a trade mark of a tasty starter? Do they just inherently have the nutty taste or is it produced as the dough ferments? Ive kinda been thinking maybe I should buy or acquire some other possibly more tasty starter.

also do large bubbles on top like this indicate weak gluten structure and oven rising? also what do the bubbles on the side indicate? the pizza made from this tasted bready, not bad but bready.

I wouldn't get hung up on the word nutty. I'd be perfectly happy if I never heard it used to describe the taste of a crust again. I want complexity. Make a 24 or 48 hour SD crust and make a 3 hour IDY crust and try them side-by-side and you will know what I mean. While you are at it, order one from Papa John's or Domino's as well and you will also understand the difference between "flavored" and "flavorful." Make a 2-3 day ADY/IDY CF dough too to see the difference in complexity between a well fermented SD and a well-fermented CF.

That dough looks a over-fermented to me - not necessarily weak.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan