Author Topic: Best Yet  (Read 11809 times)

Offline zandonatti

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Best Yet
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2007, 04:58:16 AM »
Bill,

I would not rule out a contaminated starter.  Even though it looks great, smells great, the fact that it causes the dough to rise so much may  mean contamination.  In fact, a couple of months ago when I was just getting it going it did get contaminated and I followed sourdo.com's directions for washing, and it revived.

Before I toss it, though, I am going to experiment with using a few different (smaller) percentages of starter, and see what happens.

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2007, 11:55:57 AM »
I would like to fully understand this relationship between hydration and the starter.

You can do a quick calculation to figure out the final hydration factoring in the starter hydration.  If you are using a low starter approach, it doesn't make a big difference.  For example, with a 68% hydration recipe using 5% of water starter of 50% hydration the final dough hydration is 68.5%, only a 0.5% difference.

Offline 2112

• Pizza is our friend!
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2007, 01:01:27 PM »

Peter and scpizza,

Thank you for the input. The fog is beginning to clear.

I wish I could post some pictures of the pies I have made to date but the size of my pictures seem to exceed the 128k limit
Hmmmmm........I will try to do something about that.

Vince
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2007, 02:22:48 PM »
Not sure where to post this, but I discovered an unused  dough ball in the back of the refrigerator from the batch I made on Monday. I formed it into 3 x 100g rolls and baked them at 550F. As with other Caputo 00 trials at this temp, the color was very bland, but the flavor was just awesome. Made some gnocchi in a brown butter sauce with shrimp for lunch and this was perfect for sopping up the sauce - just the right balance of flavors. Lesson learned - always make extra dough balls.

Bill/SFNM