Author Topic: Blackstone Help! (pics)  (Read 578 times)

Offline TinCup

Blackstone Help! (pics)
« on: August 05, 2014, 03:06:08 PM »
Hello all,

I bought a Blackstone a few months back and I'm trying to get the hang of it. The first few pies were pretty good but lately I've been burning the crap out of the bottom of them. I'm using this recipe http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf. I preheat the oven for about 30 minutes and get the upper and lower stones to between 800-900 degrees according to my temp gun. I then dust the peel with Semonila flour and toss the pie in and after not even a minute or so the bottom burns and the top is fine. I know I'm screwing something up but I have no clue what. I could use some help if anyone would be so kind.

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
Re: Blackstone Help! (pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 03:21:39 PM »
I haven't done a strict analysis, but it seem that most people have the best luck launching with the bottom stone btwn 750-800. I usually launch at 750 or 760 for a 90-100 second cook.

I'd also not put any extra flour or semolina on the peel, as any extra can burn. I go out of my way to get all excess flour off the bottom of the pie with a perforated peel.

I should note that I'm attempting Neapolitan-style pies. If you are shooting for NY or some other style, even 750 is high at launch.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:09:32 PM by tommy »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 03:42:53 PM »
Hello all,

I bought a Blackstone a few months back and I'm trying to get the hang of it. The first few pies were pretty good but lately I've been burning the crap out of the bottom of them. I'm using this recipe http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf. I preheat the oven for about 30 minutes and get the upper and lower stones to between 800-900 degrees according to my temp gun. I then dust the peel with Semonila flour and toss the pie in and after not even a minute or so the bottom burns and the top is fine. I know I'm screwing something up but I have no clue what. I could use some help if anyone would be so kind.

TinCup,

This is a trial and error thing until you get it consistently right.  (And then little mistakes will drive you nuts! :-D)

Iíd like to say that making a beautiful neo pie is easy, but a lot of factors come into play.  My guess from looking at the pictures is that you are 30 degrees too hot on the stone with that first picture when the pie went on Ė maybe 50F on that second char picture.  Always measure the same spot.  Always measure with the gun distance to the spot the same and make the distance as short as possible without melting the IR gun plastic (I usually position the the gun is a little right of center of entrance/opening).  Always measure with the flame at fixed level (eg. Flame on high or off entirely).  I donít want to get redundant with Ďalwaysí it is just that in a multivariate problem, keeping things constant helps converge on success.

Iíd suggest you read up on spot ratio, if you havenít already.  It will let you know what you are really measuring.  Also, try to get the IR gun as perpendicular to the stone as possible so you are measuring more of a circle than an ellipse - and possibly reflecting off the stone to include some temperature readings off of the back wall, etc....

Regarding semolina flour, Iíve had that burn at 850F Ė so if your stone is black, that may be the cause.  As Tommy wrote, avoid excessive semolina.

Not all IR guns are well calibrated.  That is OK as long as you are consistent with your setup.  Next pizza party compare members IR guns (3 is good) and see if you have an odd ball.   We did (and HF took it back).

Try measuring the stone with the IR gun.  Then turn the flame off and measure again.  Youíll likely see 30 degree F drop w/o active flame.  That is why Iím suggesting keeping the flame constant (one way or the other) during measure.

Hope this helps you make some progress.

Dave

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 04:33:38 PM »
Turn the oven down.
Looks like an aweful lot of cheese...are you trying to make NP or NY pizza tincup?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »
yea, i would say way to hot...  And what  kind of cheese are you using?  looks like a lot...  it's not a WFO so you need to work it a little to get the look of the WFO. I launch around 780-800. It warms up in 15-20 minutes. I then turn mine down to med. When i start to make my pie i then go out and turn up to full. When i launch it at the temps i stated. I also move my pie around with a turning peel so i can adjust to the conditions at hand. Every firing seems to be a little different so i adjust. Don't use semolina either... use your caputo 00. I shake my dough just before i set on my wood peel.Make sure after every pie you scrape down any burnt flour or ingredients on the stone. After you pull the pie turn back down to medium. A charflector will help as well. you should be cooking in 60-90 seconds. And as i said every pie is different. As well as how full your pro pain tank is as well. Try one of Craig's dough receipts as we all on the forum use them as they are proven success stories. try at 61-62 % hydration seems to work really well.

You'll get it...  Chris
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:26:12 PM by vandev »

Offline moose13

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 08:43:18 PM »
Try your next one at about 600-650 stone temp.
Turn burner to low when launching, i look for a couple small char spots on the bottom before cranking it full blast.
I too have scorched bottoms if i go too hot. I started here then slowly adding more temp with each bake. Worth a try.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 07:34:13 AM »
Try your next one at about 600-650 stone temp.
Turn burner to low when launching, i look for a couple small char spots on the bottom before cranking it full blast.
I too have scorched bottoms if i go too hot. I started here then slowly adding more temp with each bake. Worth a try.

very good advice.... i sometimes take my pies to the limit.... >:D

Offline TinCup

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 01:16:45 PM »
Thanks everyone! I was using just regular bagged Mozzarella from the grocery store.  I was attempting some sort of Neapolitan pie but my kids like lots of cheese. I appreciate all of the great suggestions!

Scott

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 02:07:01 PM »
Thanks everyone! I was using just regular bagged Mozzarella from the grocery store.  I was attempting some sort of Neapolitan pie but my kids like lots of cheese. I appreciate all of the great suggestions!

Scott
I recently made one similar using bag shred cheese......made a 50/50 dough, AP/00 flour @ around 720 degrees and it was good.
You might want to try that type of dough tincup.  :chef:

Oh wait...on that one I used grated 1lb. block of Polly-O. But you can use bag stuff....I would steer clear of part skim stuff though,but who knows, that may be something to try.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:11:03 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 03:35:38 PM »
I recently made one similar using bag shred cheese......made a 50/50 dough, AP/00 flour @ around 720 degrees and it was good.
You might want to try that type of dough tincup.  :chef:

Oh wait...on that one I used grated 1lb. block of Polly-O. But you can use bag stuff....I would steer clear of part skim stuff though,but who knows, that may be something to try.  ;D

Great advice...I think you nailed it..  I tried last weekend to make a regular cheese pizza.. It was tough using the WFO formula and shredded cheese..  Not so easy. The lower temps are key. As well you could do like coal fired places. They put on cheese first and sauce after in circular blops .....  keeps the cheese from burning ;D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »
Great advice...I think you nailed it..  I tried last weekend to make a regular cheese pizza.. It was tough using the WFO formula and shredded cheese..  Not so easy. The lower temps are key. As well you could do like coal fired places. They put on cheese first and sauce after in circular blops .....  keeps the cheese from burning ;D
Wonderful idea van,thanks.
A coal fired pizza joint is on my bucket list....man I love the looks of that style pie.  :drool:
That`s what I.m gonna try next on the ole BS.   :chef:

Offline joeminghia

• Ciao belli
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 12:42:51 AM »
As already stated, your stone is just way too hot. Through trial and error myself I've learned that 15 minutes of preheat is nearly ideal for me to start launching, stone is in the mid 700s at that point. I drop the knob down to medium-low after cooking while I go set up my next pizza. Keeping it on high the entire time ends up getting way too hot.

I also had a really funny newb mistake just last week. I couldn't figure out why my stone wasn't climbing to the 700s, I kept waiting and waiting and finally 25 minutes later at around 500 degrees I decided my IR gun must be defective and launched anyway. My pie burned in literally 10 seconds. Turns out I didn't realize I was on celsius and not fahrenheit, true temperature was around 930F  :-D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:44:53 AM by joeminghia »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 10:29:47 AM »
That was a good one Joe!  :-D

Offline TinCup

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »
Thanks to all of you for the great help! My next pies were much better! I launched much lower, right around 650 degrees. No issues with burning the bottom. I will get some better cheese so it doesn't burn as easy. I just started a Sourdough starter and hope to follow Craig's recipe here soon.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Offline cupcake

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 03:41:21 PM »
You can also move the collar of the BS up a bit so that it is further away from the source of heat. That will decrease the stone temperature. You can do that by moving the little circle that holds the collar in place (there are adjustment screws on it). Move up/down to balance your top/bottom heat.

pizzapan