Author Topic: Hydration through the year  (Read 142 times)

Offline dulcevita

• Feed your enemy's pizza...and have no enemy's.
Hydration through the year
« on: August 06, 2014, 09:40:17 AM »
I've noticed for a long time time that sometimes recipe's may come out a little dry or over moist due to the humidity or type of flour (thats my take). So if I were to make a recipe that calls for 100%f 55%w 2.0%s . 0.45% Y  and when I mix it it comes out a little dry and crumbley its it correct to assume that its at the right hydration and I shouldn't add  any more water? I do realize that hydration is based off weight and not the actually hydration of  the flour at the time of mixing. If thats the right way to look at it. I'm just not so sure what to do.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Hydration through the year
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 09:58:01 AM »
Are you talking about a formula that you made for the first time? If so, you should not assume anything. There are so many variables between everyone's unique situation that any formula should be viewed only as a starting point.

If you are talking about a formula you make often, it's possible you might have to tweak the flour a bit. I have never found it to be necessary however. I would think it more likely that it would be as a result of a new bag of flour having a different moisture content than the humidity per-se. Yeast/culture on the other hand, I adjust with the seasons.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dulcevita

• Feed your enemy's pizza...and have no enemy's.
Re: Hydration through the year
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 02:28:51 PM »
Are you talking about a formula that you made for the first time? If so, you should not assume anything. There are so many variables between everyone's unique situation that any formula should be viewed only as a starting point.

If you are talking about a formula you make often, it's possible you might have to tweak the flour a bit. I have never found it to be necessary however. I would think it more likely that it would be as a result of a new bag of flour having a different moisture content than the humidity per-se. Yeast/culture on the other hand, I adjust with the seasons.

No I just meant in general. But thank you.

pizzapan