Author Topic: Neapolitan dough help  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Neapolitan dough help
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 01:16:43 PM »
Try it straight and go for the 65% but include the oil in the 65% (or leave it out altogether).

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »
Vandev, There isn't a Neapolitan type pizza shop within 100 Miles of where I live. Most locals think Hungry Howe's or Pizza Hut is good pizza. I grew up in a town in NJ with a coal oven pizza place that is still open, thou now firing it with nat gas. Their pizza is amazing and what I try replicating most of the time and now I want to move on to a more Traditional Neo pie.

Tscar, Amazon says my "00" flour will be here Tuesday and I am very comfortable launching dough wet. My question would be how wet? Right now the dough I have ready to go for Saturday night is at 65% with an additional 2% olive oil, it was pretty tacky when I balled it. When I get my 00 on tues, what hydration would you recommend and should I go straight 00 or cut with AP or HG? 

Left overs, I have for years now been taking my left over dough, barely stretching it, then throwing it on my preheated Weber grill. Cook one side then the other. I baste with Olive oil, butter, garlic, parm and hit it with some garlic salt and serve as a side to salad or dinner. My Peeps love it.

I love coal fired pizza.... but then again i like all sorts of pizza...Im a guy.........With regards to wetness. I use 62% and I'm in a humid as Cambodia place...  Works great for me...  I would ask Craig as i steal everything threw him....He is the dough guru for pizza dough..No oil,sugar.honey or anything but salt, water, yeast and flour..  Keep it simple...  remember sugar burns... ;D and its not good for you either...

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »
I want Jesus or any other visionary to appear before me and say "my son, the secret to the Holly Grail Pizza is......."

My 2c - there's no specific method or recipe, but there is a path that will almost certainly lead you to the holy grail, if such a thing exists...

Read Craig's threads from start to finish.  Read Omid's thread from start to finish.  Once you've digested all of that, re-read these threads in their entirety because you'll pick up a lot the second time around with a new perspective.  Read every neapolitan post you can find because there are insights scattered all over this forum.  Scour the internet for every neapolitan/dough-handling/pizza making video you can find and watch them on high-rotation.  Eat the best neapolitan pizza you can find made by pros, and assess how it differs from what you're making.  Make pizza after pizza for a year to two based on what you've learned above, all the while taking notes and pictures, posting them on this forum and asking for advice, and more than anything be prepared to make adjustments (and sometimes radical changes) to what you're doing to get ever-better results.   Don't be dismayed by set-backs, those are the opportunities to learn the most.

Might not be the holy grail, but I bet will result in good pizza and loads of tasty of fun.   Worked for me anyway.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 03:31:53 PM »
Chris - Lucali's looks great!

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »
My 2c - there's no specific method or recipe, but there is a path that will almost certainly lead you to the holy grail, if such a thing exists...

Read Craig's threads from start to finish.  Read Omid's thread from start to finish.  Once you've digested all of that, re-read these threads in their entirety because you'll pick up a lot the second time around with a new perspective.  Read every neapolitan post you can find because there are insights scattered all over this forum.  Scour the internet for every neapolitan/dough-handling/pizza making video you can find and watch them on high-rotation.  Eat the best neapolitan pizza you can find made by pros, and assess how it differs from what you're making.  Make pizza after pizza for a year to two based on what you've learned above, all the while taking notes and pictures, posting them on this forum and asking for advice, and more than anything be prepared to make adjustments (and sometimes radical changes) to what you're doing to get ever-better results.   Don't be dismayed by set-backs, those are the opportunities to learn the most.

Might not be the holy grail, but I bet will result in good pizza and loads of tasty of fun.   Worked for me anyway.

Its the truth...thats what i did..  i think i've read each one 3 or 4 times.....  over a good 18yr old scotch that is... :-D

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 03:43:38 PM »
Chris - Lucali's looks great!

It is really good. They also use a empty wine bottle to roll out the dough... yea...watched and was pretty cool. There oven is a large brick oven. Wood with gas assist. And we where there on a saturday for lunch so we where one of the first customers. I was impressed that the oven was up to temp for sure.  They make there own mozz fresh and it reallhad a great taste. I always know as my wife really dosnt like pizza but she really like this one. She likes mine as well... :-D

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »
I am sad to omit that I have never had a good example of a Neapolitan pizza :'( And like I said in a previous post, there's none closer than 2+ hrs.  Hopefully with the help from all of you and time, it will be as close as my back yard!

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 08:09:35 PM »
Wow, that looks like a fantastic spot for a very tidy oven!     I have to travel to the other end of my country to get decent neapolitan, it doesn't happen very often.     I'm sure if you can post a reasonable description of your recipe/method and photos of your current results there'll be plenty of helpful ideas from the forum.

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 11:07:31 AM »
Well I completed my homework assignment and read and reread TxCraigs method's and Omid's philosophy. Hmm, you both are a mix of genius and monsters. I am made fun of now with my pizza obsession with my current methods. I start using coolers with ice baths to do temp control and people will be ready to commit me. So I'm in! Sort of...

My first thought that ran threw my head was "what a pain in the arss" then the fix it guy side of me said "Temp controller on my garage refrigerator". I'm a recovering "all grain" home brewer so I used to use a similar set up for controlling fermentation temps in beer. I have to be honest and say with my current work load and family needs that the warm temp controlled ferm is going to have to wait. So my first steps into Neapolitan are going to be a bit more subdued.

Here my preliminary plan and please reply with tips or suggestions for this is the only practical way for me to jump in right now: I started a sourdough starter "Reinhart" last night and hope that its usable by next week. Then my plan is to use my newly acquired 00 flour and the starter and give it ago using what I'll refer to as my "cheater method" and ferment at refrigeration temps or shorter room temps. I will implement everything else i can from the TxCraig method beside the slow warm ferment and the Italian starter. Saying that, what % of starter would you recommend using "4%?", what hydration and long refridge ferm or short room temp?

Please don't hate me for my Cheater method , but unless i hit the Powerball its gonna have to do for right now. Thanks!!!!

Offline parallei

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 11:27:29 AM »

Then my plan is to use my newly acquired 00 flour and the starter and give it ago using what I'll refer to as my "cheater method" and ferment at refrigeration temps or shorter room temps. I will implement everything else i can from the TxCraig method beside the slow warm ferment and the Italian starter. Saying that, what % of starter would you recommend using "4%?", what hydration and long refridge ferm or short room temp?

Please don't hate me for my Cheater method , but unless i hit the Powerball its gonna have to do for right now. Thanks!!!!

Beautiful oven to do your first pies in.  Because these are our first NP pies (or so it seems):

Hydration = 60% for either fridge or room temp
Yeast = 0.4% IDY for fridge.  Don't mess with using your new starter for a cold fermentation.
Starter = Try a 24 hr room temp.  It is no big deal, it just sits there in the kitchen or someplace!  Look at Craig's chart here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.0 to get an idea of %starter to used based on temp time.

Don't be surprised if your starter isn't up to the challenge in a week!

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2014, 10:10:25 AM »
Parallei thanks for the prop's and the tips.

Below is a picture of my Last night pizza, " Fresh tomato, shrimp, three cheese blend of mild white cheddar, sharp cheddar and Havarti dill. Lightly sauced with homemade buttermilk ranch and lightly sprinkled the top with garlic salt.

Correction, top photo is of a pizza margherita I made last night that I didn't intend on posting but couldn't figure out how to remove?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 10:16:27 AM by hodgey1 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2014, 10:18:26 AM »
Nice first pies. How long was the bake time?

That shrimp pie is interesting. I don't remember ever seeing anything like that combination before.

Pizza is not bread.

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2014, 10:38:53 AM »
Thanks Craig. Dome 920* floor 750* it took close to 2 minutes. i had may WFO useable early fall last year so I have been making pizza in it for a while, just haven't switched from NY style to Neo fully yet. 00 will be here tues. The shrimp pizza is a concoction that I am tying to perfect for a friends birthday coming up. He has been in my ear about this mythical pizza he used to eat years ago so this is my version going off of his very weak details. Everyone loves it, the best part to me and wouldn't do without is the fresh garden tomato slices, yum!

Offline moose13

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2014, 11:06:09 AM »
Your oven is a beauty, very nice job!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2014, 12:53:54 PM »
Your oven is a beauty, very nice job!

^^^

One of the best looking that I've ever seen.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2014, 05:57:51 PM »
Moose & Craig thanks for the props on the oven. It was a very long project that still has a few loose ends to tidy up this fall. I just needed a break from it so I can focus on why I built it, to make great pizza that my grand kids can brag about when I'm long gone. " Remember crazy grand pa and his flame thrower pizza oven". The pizza I made last night were extremely good. 100% hi gluten, 65% water, 2% olive oil, 1% honey

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2014, 08:35:13 PM »
Those are nice. You have it down pretty well and as noted you have a very nice build. 

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
Thanks Tscar! When people like you and Craig approve I know I'm headed in the right direction.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2014, 07:17:39 AM »
pies look great..... ;D

Chris

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 10:49:06 AM »
I just noticed you joined here Chris, welcome.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin