Author Topic: Fresh mozzarella vs WMLM  (Read 280 times)

Offline Dorkmeat

• I Love Pizza!
Fresh mozzarella vs WMLM
« on: August 08, 2014, 10:06:06 AM »
What are the advantages/disadvantages to using fresh mozzarella vs shredded WMLM mozzarella?

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Fresh mozzarella vs WMLM
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 10:33:35 AM »
I wouldn't say there are necessarily advantages or disadvantages - rather differences. Notwithstanding, there isn't much Neapolitan about using WMLM.  Basically it's personal preference: different appearance, texture, flavor, contribution to the overall wettness of the pie, etc. There are a couple pies where I like the WMLM from time to time, but in general I prefer fresh. For WMLM, I never use shredded - only thin slices.

One advantage of LM mozz vs fresh in general is that the quality of LM will be much more consistent.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Dorkmeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 12:14:51 PM »
Notwithstanding, there isn't much Neapolitan about using WMLM.
Within the limited about of literature that I've read, I don't recall them specifying fresh or LM mozzarella -- however most of the pictures I've seen almost all show fresh mozz. 

For WMLM, I never use shredded - only thin slices.
Thanks, I didn't consider that.  Any suggestions for toppings using sliced LM?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 02:56:34 PM »
Thanks, I didn't consider that.  Any suggestions for toppings using sliced LM?

You're looking at it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
I wouldn't say there are necessarily advantages or disadvantages - rather differences. Notwithstanding, there isn't much Neapolitan about using WMLM.  Basically it's personal preference: different appearance, texture, flavor, contribution to the overall wettness of the pie, etc. There are a couple pies where I like the WMLM from time to time, but in general I prefer fresh. For WMLM, I never use shredded - only thin slices.

One advantage of LM mozz vs fresh in general is that the quality of LM will be much more consistent.

Now i'm starving... :drool:

pizzapan