Author Topic: Answering Questions  (Read 2741 times)

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
Answering Questions
« on: September 29, 2006, 04:57:55 PM »
There have been questions asked on the forum that I wanted to answer. The problem is that I have inadvertently given out incorrect information. I know that there are a lot of other people out there with more experience and who are better able to answer questions. Should I let the experts answer (the usual suspects), or should I chime in? When I have inadvertently presented incorrect information I have stated that it was my own opinion. I have never presented opinions as facts.

Thanks,

Michael

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Answering Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 06:40:57 PM »
Michael,

That's a good question but I wouldn't worry about it. This is an open forum and if you actively participate in it by posting it is inevitable that from time to time we will all make erroneous statements. If we don't catch them ourselves and they are important enough someone else will usually catch them and comments on them. I would rather that people participate and occasionally make mistakes than not to participate at all, or hardly at all. I suspect that there is a lot of good stuff out there that never makes it to the forum for that reason. It is true that some members will know more than others about the subject at hand and will be more active participants because of it but that is true of any community of people. But that shouldn't be a deterrent to participating, even at the risk of occasionally making mistakes.

Peter

Offline chiguy

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 07:13:03 PM »
 Michael,
 As Peter states no one here is without error. It is much beter to participate as members are not always online. Do not underestimate you're ability to answer questions. Most of the people here have learned just like you from exprience and reading subject material here and elsewhere.          Chiguy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 05:51:03 PM »
Should I let the experts answer (the usual suspects), or should I chime in?

Since I haven't met a true expert yet, chime in!

When I have inadvertently presented incorrect information I have stated that it was my own opinion. I have never presented opinions as facts.

All one can truly do is talk about there own experiences.  Sometimes those go against a perceived norm.  That's life.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline youonlylivetwice

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 04:22:52 PM »
and coming from someone who is also a bit gun-shy to jump in for fear of saying something wrong, God bless you for not thinking there is only one way to do things and having the modesty to acknowledge where you fit in the big picture.  I feel just as you do and it makes me feel better to actively participate more that you asked this....

thanks!

YOLT

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 04:45:27 PM »
It makes me feel better too. I'm glad that everone is saying what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure.

pizzapan