Author Topic: Video:Another method to form your pizza skin.  (Read 2937 times)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Video:Another method to form your pizza skin.
« on: July 15, 2006, 11:55:36 AM »
Pizzeria la Golosa - Il Pizzaiolo Pazzo
Practice,practice,practice.............!!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 01:15:12 PM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline David

Re: Video:Another method to form your pizza skin.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 12:55:45 PM »
Here you can see also how one can load the pizza onto the peel to the oven.Notice how little Tomato in used.

If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 03:01:46 PM »
Fascinating! I could watch all day. Thanks, David.

I don't think in a million years of practice I could handle my dough like that. It is just too soft.

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 10:59:58 PM »
you'll probably enjoy this one as well then Bill.......

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 11:19:59 AM »
nice video... but most vids are from gourmet pizza places... small 14" diameter are a bit easier to see and form than 18-20"...  i've never been one to jam my fingers down into the dough while at the beginning of the shaping process.  everyone does that though... and i've always been thinking that wouldn't this contradict the notion of refraining from using a rolling pin... that it would press the air out.

Offline David

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 11:36:17 AM »
nice video... but most vids are from gourmet pizza places... small 14" diameter are a bit easier to see and form than 18-20"... 

Try telling that to the members who have attempted to make a highly hydrated 12" caputo dough skin for the first few times ;D I think that the larger (NY Style ) skins are much easier to form as they are generally  thicker,less hydrated and you have more room for movement / error.however i'll keep my eyes open for a video to satisfy your needs and will post it if I find a good one.I recall a fellow member Bubba had something on his own website,but I believe he charged some kind of fee for access?There has to be a free one out there.
                                                           Regards,
                                                                         David

Offline musiq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 11:37:39 AM »
Those vids are nice..And god knows how much i'd like to be able to handle the dough like that!...But i'm not completely convinced by those pizzas..They take way too long to form them...Using a high hydration like we are used on here, shaping should take, with their ability, 2 or 3 strokes...i'm sure ours are better ;)

Offline David

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 11:59:05 AM »
Here's a site that is probably worth investing a membership fee to.

http://www.worldpizzachampions.com

You can see a couple of more video clips here and the use of a rotating deck wood fired oven.

http://www.worldpizzachampions.com/media/pizzeria_brian.wmv

http://www.worldpizzachampions.com/media/nuovo_ronche.wmv

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 12:02:45 PM by David »

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 12:31:38 PM »
i've never been one to jam my fingers down into the dough while at the beginning of the shaping process.  everyone does that though... and i've always been thinking that wouldn't this contradict the notion of refraining from using a rolling pin... that it would press the air out.

If the technique is over-done it could compress all the bubbles, but mostly it breaks up and distributes the bubbles. It's also a good way to get a dough disc with a fairly even thickness before stretching or spinning.

Feel free to correct me but I belive that large bubbles are undesirable when streching and spinng dough very thin because they will over expand.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 01:38:01 PM »
With 50 thousand uploads and 50 million views daily, Youtube is the leading video clip sharing site. However, Google is beta testing its own video service, and here are a few samples of dough tossing videos from the Google video site:

The precursor to the tossing is getting the dough flattened and partially stretched out. Some time ago, when I was at Lombardi's and in the pizza making area watching the key pizza maker at work, I saw the he was quite rough on the dough. He took one of the dough balls, flattened it into a disk, dusted it in a pile of bench flour, and then slammed it down on the work surface. Using the palms of both hands, he pressed down hard on the dough while he repeatedly turned it on the work surface, forming a rim in the process. He then slapped the dough between both hands several times and used his knuckles to stretch the dough. I asked him about tossing the dough, and he obliged by tossing the dough high in the air several times, ending with spinning the dough around on one finger. At this point, the dough took the form of a large, thin, disk that floated like a cloud, much like shown in some of the Google pizza dough videos referenced above. Lombardi's uses All Trumps high-gluten flour. The dough gets good gluten development and is fermented overnight. I don't think that our home KitchenAid mixers can produce a dough as good for spinning and tossing.

Peter

Offline David

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 11:44:13 PM »
Thanks Pete.Never knew of the google site?Here's Dom DiFara in action.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 05:50:50 PM »
it's amazing how much flour these places use to shape their doughs.. and none seem to using any semolina,cornmeal.

Offline robertincal

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 03:05:51 PM »
I watched a few videos of restaurant pizza makers. What I would like to have is their dough recipe.The dough appears very smooth and stretchy. None of them provided a recipe.Does anyone have one of those formulas?