Author Topic: bottom burning  (Read 376 times)

Offline salbernardo

• I Love Pizza!
bottom burning
« on: August 11, 2014, 04:12:52 PM »
I am new to pizza making. I have a pizza party wood oven. I get it up to about 900 degrees. I have noticed lately that for some reason the bottom burns very quickly before the top is fully done. I use Caputo flour (blue bag) and do a 60 percent hydration dough. Don't know if this is significant, but as I turn the pizza during the cooking process it almost seems as if the stone below looks wet under the dough. Could it be the hydration rate, the temp?

Offline Seven

Re: bottom burning
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »
Can you post your recipe? Are you using sugar or oil in the dough and, if yes, how much? How long are your bakes and how does the top look? If the bottom is burning before the top is cooked, you may need a lower floor temp or a less conductive floor.

Offline AnonymousPizza

• I Am Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 06:38:23 PM »
Even as the complete noob that I am, and never having owned a WFO, my experience is that with very burnt bottoms, the method of baking is the culprit. But just a guess.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:41:21 PM by AnonymousPizza »
I've come back for you, to remind you of something. Something you once knew.
That this world is not real.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 06:57:46 PM »
Burnt bottoms in a WFO pretty much have only one cause: excessive deck conductivity for the temperature. You will likely either run at a lower deck temp or dome the pies once they reach the desired bottom char.

My deck is almost certainly lower conductivity than yours - maybe 1/2 the conductivity or even less, and I run my deck at 850F; 900F on the deck is likely way too hot for that oven.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 08:05:40 PM »
How long did you fire the oven before you launched the pizza?
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline salbernardo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Here is the recipe.

00 flour 1247g
water 761g
salt 28g
yeast 1 tsp

bulk fermentation about 2 hr then portion and refrigerate 3 days- makes a great dough. tender and flavorful

come to think of it I did spray the container and tops of doughs with spray oil to prevent sticking.

I preheated about 45 minutes.

Think I will monitor the floor temp a little more closely. Thanks for the input!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »
Salbernardo, cook from the bottom up as Craig suggests. My same oven also has a damp looking floor after first turn. I suggest you return the pie to the same spot after turning. That spot is a little cooler than a new spot.
Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 05:31:37 PM »
Fire your oven longer before you launch the pizza too.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline brianw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 12:58:26 AM »
The pizza party will burn the bottom if you fire it to much before you start with a big fire. The pile of coals will keep it from cooling. Doming on the pizza party amounts to lifting it 1 to 2 inches off the bottom. Make sure you have flame going across the top or the top will not cook as fast. A banjo peel is great for turning the pizza and doming it.
The deck will get over 1000 f. If your thermometer on the oven reads 900f. It takes a while to get the feel of managing the fire. I did a lot of Neapolitan so and am now working with a high gluten NY style. I have learned to cool the oven so I am baking for about 3 top 3.5 min. When I was working with the Neapolitans I would work the oven hot and  bake times ran 50 sec to about 1.5 Min's.

Brian

pizzapan