Author Topic: Montana Sapphire unbleached white flour  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Y-TOWN

Montana Sapphire unbleached white flour
« on: July 16, 2006, 09:59:20 AM »
My wife went to another class at the Loretta Paganini School of Cooking near Cleveland, Ohio.

Mrs. Paganini taught the class herself and recommended Montana Sapphire unbleached white flour for baguette and bread making making (the focus of the class).  It's all-purpose with a protein content of 10%   

I decided to try this flour in a batch of the 3 hr - (or 2 hour) pizza dough. The recipe I used is one I received from her schools pizza making classes.

I wondered had anyone tried this particular brand of flour before?

I looked this product up on the net, but found little information on it.

Here is a strong endorsement of the product I found on the net located on a non-realated site. It mentioned nothing of pizza, it was for  baguettes.
============================

THE BEST SO FAR
I buy a bag and immediately put it through a "use" test. A use test is a euphemism. It means you don't know enough about the specifications of the material to adequately know if it will work in your application - so you use it and see if it's ok. Too many cookbooks blindly preach more is better when it comes to protein content in flour. Ultimately, it depends on your application. Flour's complicated and there are many more significant specs (ash, ascorbic acid additive, bromate or not, etc., ) that are crucial to the final product. Also, it's good to find a flour that will be constant over time. That's why I prefer large manufacturer flours. Small mills have greater variability.

Montana Sapphire unbleached white flour is my current favorite. It's all-purpose with a protein content of 10% w/w and it performs extremely well in my use test. My test recipe is a straight dough baguette:

Offline Y-TOWN

Re: Montana Sapphire unbleached white flour
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 07:52:09 PM »
FOLLOW UP

The strong endorsement on the flour was certainly not my opinion for pizza - it came out well, but was light and "cakey" in texture.

I'm back to the KA bread flour

Offline blue_bullet

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Montana Sapphire unbleached white flour
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 12:58:30 AM »
Try Montana Wheat's flour.  It is high gluten.  We used to order it in Oklahoma.  Now we live in MT and can afford it.  Shipping (UPS) is more than the cost of a 50 lb bag.

http://www.wheatmontana.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=135

I have no interest in Montana Wheat.  I just like their products.

Been making home made pizza for 30+ years and have never found a better flour.  Never had a bad pizza either-some are just better than others.

pizzapan