Author Topic: Best Olive Oil That can take the Heat  (Read 6760 times)

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Best Olive Oil That can take the Heat
« on: July 17, 2006, 02:22:11 PM »
I had a pie at Una Pizza Napoletana in NYC last week. He poured olive oil on the pie before baking it. He used quite a bit of it, much more than I've seen used before. It was good though. I prefer more sauce, but the oil had an excellent flavor. When I use oil prior to baking, it really degrades with the heat. UPN's oil did not. It was still very fruity. He said it was from Calabria but there was no brand because it was a friend who supplied him.

Does anyone know of any good brands to try which will stand up to the high heat.  Preferably ones that are available at Whole Foods, so I can taste them first.

Jeff

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
Re: Best Olive Oil That can take the Heat
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 04:21:13 PM »
I use Costco's Kirkland branded Extra Virgin drizzled on my pies before cooking and have not tasted degradation at my 475F cooking temperature.

Jack

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 05:22:00 PM »
Jeff, sounds like we both had the same reaction to visiting UPN, a search for better quality cheese and olive oil.  After my first visit to UPN I went on an olive oil buying frenzy getting everything I could find from the calabria region (which is not easy over here).  The sad truth is that I could never find an oil that I liked as much as what Anthony uses at UPN. I have come to the conclusion that he is using a very strong flavored oil, and not the delicate type that seems to be more authentic.  Because of my affinity for the stronger flavored oil I have settled on various brands of Sicilian oil, which are to my taste buds more similar to what Anthony is using.  Look for something that is not necessarily fruity or peppery, but well.....something that tastes strongly of olives!  Definitely go for unfiltered.  I think that any higher end Sicilian oil should get you close, and the good news is that most oils from that region are not super expensive.

Also, I really think that the basil he uses MAJORLY contributes to the flavor of his pizza. It combines with his olive oil flavor and flows throughout the whole pizza.  He is using something that is unobtainable in Boston, so I hope you have better luck down there.  They do have it in California, though.

I hope he was having a good crust day when you were there, as that is definitely not always the case.  Still, as far as flavor goes his extra sour dough, amazing oil, basil and really fresh buffalo mozzarella always makes for one of the best tasting pizzas I have found.  I am absolutely in awe of the fact that he can hand mix a 55 lb pound bag of Caputo every day, and use a starter in a commercial pizzeria. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:05:52 PM by scott r »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 08:20:13 PM »
I'm with scott on the Sicilian olive oil. My favorite at the moment is the Coluccio Premium Select Extra Virgin Olive Oil from the Mid-Western area of Sicily. I bought it at one of the Italian food stores on Grand St. in the Little Italy section of NYC. The price was $16.99 for 33.8 fluid ounces. I used some tonight on a DiFara style pizza (before baking) and it was very good. In fact, I have been using it even when a lesser quality oil would do. I just like the taste of it.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 10:03:31 PM »
Small world peter peter, collucio is the same stuff I use most of the time.   

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 11:14:04 PM »
I have also been having good results lately with frantonia, which I only purchased the first time because it came in the same exact bottle as the collucio.  I haven't had them side by side for a taste test yet, but they could even be the same oil ????

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 08:45:26 AM »
scott,

Do you mean "Frantoia", such as shown here: http://www.greatergourmet.com/gourmet_oils_frantoia_olive_oil.htm?

Both bottles appear to be identical, with a bulbous neck and olive wreath motif, and both have a yellowish label, although the Frantoia label is in two pieces whereas the Coluccio is a single piece label. Relying on visual memory alone, it would be easy to confuse the two.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 08:49:19 AM »
I was able to find a photo of the Coluccio olive oil, at http://caponefoods.com/detail.aspx?ID=89.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 10:34:44 AM »
yes, those are the two.  great stuff.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 12:33:13 PM »
More Silician olive oils can be found online or at their Lawrence, MA store.

http://allthingssicilian.com/

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 08:55:05 PM »
Because of my affinity for the stronger flavored oil I have settled on various brands of Sicilian oil, which are to my taste buds more similar to what Anthony is using.  Look for something that is not necessarily fruity or peppery, but well.....something that tastes strongly of olives!  Definitely go for unfiltered.  I think that any higher end Sicilian oil should get you close, and the good news is that most oils from that region are not super expensive.
Scott,
What other brands of Sicilian do you recommend?  Is the Coluccio unfiltered as well?  Should I try to track down the Frantoia or Coluccio?  What other brands of EV Sicilian do you recommend?

Thanks

Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 08:58:15 PM »
Jeff,
Have you managed to find any unfiltered Sicilian EVOO in the Atlanta Area?

TM

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 09:13:32 PM »
Scott,
What other brands of Sicilian do you recommend?  Is the Coluccio unfiltered as well?  Should I try to track down the Frantoia or Coluccio?  What other brands of EV Sicilian do you recommend?

Thanks

Sorry, I had missed your question.  There are so many good brands, I am sure you can find something in your area.  It doesn't have to be coluccio or frantonia.  Just try to get something unfiltered from Sicily that is not super cheap.  So far I have found most are really good from this area at having lots of flavor.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 10:05:23 PM »
I forgot to post about this. I got the coluccio and I don't like it. I don't think it tasted good raw and it really breaks down with the heat. I'm just  using if for frying now.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 10:25:35 PM »
I am surprised that you didn't like the collucio.  Was it this or last years harvest?  I have found 6 year old bottles in the grocery store and it sucks.

I have found an oil that I do like better than the collucio.  So far it is my favorite other than the stuff I bought near Naples.

http://shop.us.academiabarilla.com/moda/product.php?product=14688

Brought to us by the same importers who bring in Caputo flour and la regina tomatoes, so it is no surprise that it is first rate oil.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 10:51:33 PM »
Jeff, it might be worth it for you to contact these people

http://www.solagri.it/

I was there last year and brought back a bunch of their oil.   It was amazing, and recommended by Marco as one of his favorites.  I found it to be milder than what Anthony is using at UPN or a typical Sicilian oil, but it does have something special going on.

When I was there the owner of the company was very excited because they had recent intrest from a number of American importers.  They had just shipped off their first palate of oil to the US the day before I arrived at the co-op.  I just goggled them and only came up with the lemon and orange infused oils being sold on line, but I hope that someone is bringing in the straight olive oil.  Most of the employees working there spoke excellent English, so they should be able to respond to your email.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 10:09:04 AM »
Thanks scott. I ordered the collucio online, that's all I know about it. I'll look at these others when I get a chance.

Jeff

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 10:34:36 AM »
When I was in the Little Italy section of New York City recently, I went to the Italian Food Center on Grande St. to but a bottle of the Collucio EVOO, which is one of my personal favorites. Usually the racks are filled with bottles of Collucio and when I inquired where the Collucio was, I was told that they were sold out of it. So, I bought another brand of olive oil. When I went across the street to the Alleva cheese store to say hello to Bob Alleva (he is the one who has been shipping mozzarella cheese to pftaylor and Bill/SFNM), I saw the racks filled with Collucio. Obviously it is a popular brand.

I have recently started looking at Texas olive oils--my attempt to use local ingredients just as Chris Bianco at Pizzeria Bianco is doing by using Arizona-produced olive oil. After speaking with the head of the Texas Olive Oil Council in Dallas, an olive farmer himself, I was told that the Texas olive crop is one year away from production. So, I will have to wait a while. However, I was told that there is an award-winning California source of olive oil (California Olive Ranch) using the same olives that Texas olive farmers are growing. COR has a website from which their olive oils can be purchased. I plan to look into that possibility in order to get an idea of what to expect when the Texas crop finally comes in.

Peter

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 02:14:08 PM »
Thanks scott. I ordered the collucio online, that's all I know about it. I'll look at these others when I get a chance.

Jeff,
Check out Via Elisa on Howell Mill.  They are selling olive oils and cheeses from Antico Mercante.  However, they stock only a sampling of the oils that are on the AM web site.  They are also selling bufala mozzarella.  One of the owners of AM runs the front counter and knows when the items arrived from Italy.  The bufala came in last week.

TM

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 02:33:26 PM »
Ok. Are you coming on sat?