Author Topic: Stone and Parchment Paper Question  (Read 460 times)

Offline karthikrr

• I Love Pizza!
Stone and Parchment Paper Question
« on: August 19, 2014, 07:23:41 AM »
So, I made an AP flour pizza last night that finally came out half decent. The dough was a tad too wet and horrendously 'flimsy', making it impossible for me to get it into my clamshell oven without a peel (probably even with a peel). I ended up shifting it onto parchment paper before saucing and cheesing it and put the whole assembly including paper onto the stone. The results were perfectly acceptable, I thought (Pics attached). The burnt arc on the top is from where the pizza rose too much and made contact with the upper heating coil.

This led me to wonder about the pros and cons of using parchment paper on stone. One story I often hear about using a pizza stone is about porosity and its ability to absorb moisture and so on. I never really thought to question that logic, but now that I think about it, is that really the case? When the stone is heated to 450C, I don't think any water is being absorbed at all! I now think the point of the stone is merely to store a huge quantum of heat and transfer it to the dough as quickly as possible. So, if the parchment paper is affecting anything, it is only the rapid heat transfer process and nothing else. And in a sufficiently hot (perhaps over heated oven like mine), thats probably a good thing, right?

Or am I over-thinking this? :)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Stone and Parchment Paper Question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:44:21 AM »
When the stone is heated to 450C, I don't think any water is being absorbed at all! I now think the point of the stone is merely to store a huge quantum of heat and transfer it to the dough as quickly as possible. So, if the parchment paper is affecting anything, it is only the rapid heat transfer process and nothing else. And in a sufficiently hot (perhaps over heated oven like mine), thats probably a good thing, right?

I agree that a hot stone is not absorbing water - perhaps a trivial amount of steam, but that would be it.

How are you heating your stone to 450C? That's probably a bit hot for parchment paper, don't you think?

Pizza is not bread.

Offline karthikrr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 09:26:45 AM »
Hmm, so I should mention that I have ZERO experience with ovens and baking! Until a few hours ago, I thought the paper I used was a baking sheet and only after googling for info on the stone-paper relationship did I realize that such a thing as parchment paper exists :p (still don't read Dutch!) I grew up in India, cooking Indian food, and we just don't bake! I bore you with this story because it leads me to a new question:

Is it bad to have parchment paper in an oven that gets too hot??!! Am I going to die of cancer?!?! Or have my oven explode?!

As for 450C, my Trebs oven ( http://www.amazon.de/Trebs-99229-Steinofen/dp/B00DK6T034 ) goes to 400C unmodded, but even after one hour pre-heating, it was not browning the crust much after 5-6 minutes. I ended up exposing the thermostat (pulled the knob out) and turned a fan on high towards it, and suddenly the thing does not cut off at all. I am very sure that the oven goes well over 450C now, evidenced by the second pizza on this 'enhanced oven' that ended up with a completely burnt crust in 45 seconds flat! Without an IR thermometer, I have no way of knowing the actual temperatures, but I guesstimated 450C based on the roughly two minutes that last pizza took to make.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 09:43:41 AM »
I don't think you are going to die nor will your oven explode (though I did think you were talking about a more conventional oven, and I thought a fire was a possibility). The paper can only get so hot under the pizza. The stone may be 450C on one side, but the pizza and steam on the other is much cooler - cooler enough to keep the thin paper cool. It's the same physics as boiling water in a paper cup.

In a larger oven where naked paper is exposed to high temperatures, it might catch fire. I think that is the main temperature concern. That there is not a health concern is just a guess however, and I personbally would not use parchment paper at a temperature anywhere near that high.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline karthikrr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply! Good to know that a mutant future is not likely :)

I tried a bread flour pizza last night on parchment paper again, thought I had figured out the heating with the AP one. The paper literally turned black and crumbled before I even shut the oven after putting the pizza in. Again, I ended up with a blackened (thankfully not crazy burnt) base in about a minute, though I turned down the heat and kept the oven slightly open to cool things off. Back to the drawing board it is with working out pre-heating and loading time without a thermometer!

pizzapan