Author Topic: I am prepared for you all to admonish me about this, but on customer service  (Read 1558 times)

Offline youonlylivetwice

I just ordered a starter and the book from Sourdo.com yesterday.  Now, I know their website even says orders ship on Mondays...   I sent a quick question asking if my order was received in time, and I received a message back from Jean Wood that my order was received too late to ship yesterday.  I had asked what kind of shipping I get for my $9.  The answer was priority shipping ( I know, the PO shipping type. ) I then asked if it would ship this week, and got a rather cryptic message that orders ship on Mondays.  ok, I work in an environment where patience is not rewarded, and I am sure I have adopted a degree of impatience.... but all the same, what could possibly be so magic about Mondays that it will be a week to send a 'priority' shipment? I know, if I am going to be successful with starters I had better be patient... but on some level it just strikes me as odd customer service, like a pizzeria refusing to put pepperoni on your pizza, even though it is sitting right there, just because it's Wednesday or something.   tell me I am wrong....???!!

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
Well, Cascade, ID (population 1,001) isn't exactly what one would call a booming metropolis, and since sourdo.com's mailing address is a PO box rather than a physical address, it may be the case that they're actually located out in the boonies and only drive into Cascade once a week to buy groceries, pay bills, pick up and send mail, etc.—a practice that is not all that unusual in outlying rural areas.

Look at it this way: would YOU drive 25-30 miles one-way two or three times a week (especially at today's gas prices) just to mail a package of dried fungus if you were going to be making the trip next Monday anyway? I didn't think so.  ;D

Offline youonlylivetwice

a good point if it were, but even though my order was placed Monday morning, the reason I was given is that it is already  "Late afternoon in our home office shipping department" , so this stuff doesn't ship from Idaho.....

oh well.

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
Hey, guys,
i am in agrrement with youonlylivetwice. when i first dealt with sourdo.com i had some issues with my starter and had written an email to Ed. the response back was a little rude and sarcastic as i was only asking questions about the product. eventually my questions were answered and the starter is doing well, but i was a bit disappointed by the response. maybe it is just their personality or the product they sell money wise isnt worth investing in customer satisfaction.
i guess in this day and age you as a customer feel as though you are should be treated kindly as it is your money being handed over to them. as someone who has worked retail and fast food in years past, i always thought it was important to treat alll customers as if they were your best one.
Christopher

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
the reason I was given is that it is already  "Late afternoon in our home office shipping department" , so this stuff doesn't ship from Idaho.....

Your conclusion doesn't necessarily follow because it assumes, inter alia and possibly erroneously, that:

a) "home office" means that there is a corporate office in a location separate and remote from the customer service/order call center, when, in fact, it may refer to a home-based business office;

b) "late afternoon in our ... shipping department" means that there is an actual department with at least one employee whose primary, if not exclusive, job is to ship orders, when, in fact, it may indicate nothing more than that the person who delivers the previous week's orders to the post office had already left.

[Disclaimer: I have no relationship to, and have not transacted business with, Sourdo.com and know no more about its business structure or practices than what can be found via a cursory search on the Internet. The foregoing is simply an attempt, given the information provided in the initial complaint and follow-up, to provide a plausible explanation of "what could possibly be so magic about Mondays" that Sourdo.com only ships on that day.]

Offline youonlylivetwice

I think a greater indictment of me is simply my lack of patience, not searching for reasons that it is plausible to ship only once a week.  Customer Service is what it is... I agree with Christopher, it isn't even like the response was particularly friendly or contained any explanation.  I suppose you can decide I don't deserve one, but it just struck me as something to comment on.   Again, oh well.  I requested that the order be cancelled.... heck, I have days to reorder and it would still ship at the same time!!!

you're a great group here, thanks for letting me be a part of it.