Author Topic: adherence to recipes?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
adherence to recipes?
« on: April 15, 2004, 11:37:39 AM »
Hello folks,

Just curious--how closely do you attempt to adhere to recipe ingredient amounts, and how much difference do you think it makes?  For instance, if a recipe calls for 2 Tbsp of olive oil, do you precisely and carefully measure out the 2 Tbsp, or just roughly pour it into a measuring spoon and say, "Yep, that looks about right"?  Same thing with flour, especially--are you guys particular about precise measurements, or do you just scoop the cups into the flour bag and just approximately level it out?

I'm just wondering how much effect slight deviations from precise measurements has on the final product.

Dave

Offline Pizzaholic

Re:adherence to recipes?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 11:45:33 AM »
I measure ingredients for the doughs, sauces I freestyle cause I dont have access to 6-1
Pizzaholic

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 12:11:40 PM »
Sauce is 100% freestyle.

Doughs are messured to a point.  For example, for a teaspoon of yeast I use a teaspoon to messure it out, but chances are it is not a 'perfect' teaspoon.  I judge the final product on look and feel and adjust as needed.

If I find a recipe that I think looks good the first time I following it very closely and then try to figure out what I would do different.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline LMU Pizza Man

• I'm a not a llama! But I caddied for him once.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 12:57:42 PM »
I'm just experimenting as well with my dough and sauces. I try to measure things, but i think half the fun of making pizza is adding a little more salt there, or some honey here. I think every batch of dough is unique and special. Keeps your taste buds guessing! Life is an approximation.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 01:07:29 PM »
I found out some time ago that if I didn't measure accurately then I could never repeat when I had a success.  I also keep my old variations to make sure I don't repeat the bad ones.

Randy

pizzapan