Author Topic: cheese getting brown  (Read 1223 times)

Offline busettis

• I Love Pizza!
cheese getting brown
« on: July 22, 2006, 12:19:27 AM »
I tried some reccomended temperature, but the cheese is still getting brown., not a good looking pizza.... Any suggestion?

My temperatures are
floor 365
back 410
dome 510

Please somebody help ....

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: cheese getting brown
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 11:01:02 PM »
Since you mention floor and dome temperatures, I assume you're using a pizza oven of some sort rather than a residential kitchen oven.

If the temperatures you list are Fahrenheit, they're way too low. Assuming they're Celsius, your floor temperature (365° C = 689° F) is significantly lower than the floor temperatures being reported by most of the folks here on the board who use pizza ovens or grills (750-950° F = 398-510° C). Since most of those folks are reporting dome temperatures in the 950-1000° F (510-538° C) range, it sounds to me like you need to increase your floor temperature. Alternatively, you could try covering the pizza with a square of aluminum foil for part of the baking time to shield it from the heat being reflected by/radiated from the dome. (My suspicion is that you'd be better off starting with it covered than starting with it uncovered, since you can lift the pie and hold it close to the dome to finish cooking the top, if necessary, a whole lot easier than you can stop the top from cooking if it's done before the crust is finished.)

Another culprit could be the cheese itself: is the cheese you're using whole milk, part-skim, fresh, or low moisture cheese? My recollection is that most of the folks working with high temperature ovens prefer fresh whole milk mozz. I seem to recall someone—possibly pftaylor—stating that he used partially frozen cheese on his pizzas so it doesn't overcook and dry out before he crust was done. Also, some brands seem to hold up better to high temperatures than others.

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 12:42:23 AM »
What brand of cheese are you using?  You might try different brands to see if the results vary.

Also, for how long are you cooking your pies? 

Offline buzz

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »
Par-bake the crust, then add toppings and finish.

pizzapan