Author Topic: Gino's East frozen pizzas now in supermarkets  (Read 8763 times)

Offline Cricket

• I Love Pizza!
Gino's East frozen pizzas now in supermarkets
« on: July 22, 2006, 12:50:55 AM »
A few weeks ago I needed a quick pizza fix and found myself in for a surprise.  I was going to buy one of those single serving Home Run Inn pizzas when I saw a box labeled Gino's East.  They had cheese, pepperoni, and sausage pizzas and I tried both the pepperoni and sausage ones.

So, how were they?  Well, they were pretty good.  Best store bought pizza I've had.  I have only eaten at Gino's East once in Chicago so it is a bit hard for me to compare.  The toppings tasted just like I remember but the crust is definitely not as good.  The crust is a bit too thick which is disappointing.

The cooking instructions are also interesting.  They say to place it directly on the oven rack and the pepperoni one is to be cooked at 375 F for 35 to 40 mins and the sausage at 400 F for 30 to 40 mins.  They also include a pop up timer in each one.  I made the first one according to the instructions and the second one in my 9 inch pizza pan with some oil in it for 45 mins.  The crust on the second one was a bit better.

I found them at Rainbow Foods (owned by Roundy's) in Minneapolis.  Price was $8.99.

Cricket

Offline buzz

Re: Gino's East frozen pizzas now in supermarkets
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 01:19:21 PM »
I tried it, too and found the crust mouth feel to be superior to any other frozen pizza out there, but there was too much of an overpowering extra virgin olive oil taste for my preferences.

Offline korngold

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 04:21:20 PM »
Does anyone know who to have my local grocery store contact to order these?

Buzz--

I notice you've tried quite a few frozen Chicago style pizzas.  What is your favorite?

Offline buzz

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 10:19:13 AM »
I think I've tried them all! My favorite is the one I just tried, called Leonardo's. I'm not crazy about the sauce, but the crust is excellent, and they use whole milk mozzarella. The sauce comes in its own separate packet, so if you don't like it, you can use your own sauce.

Offline korngold

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 06:00:14 PM »
I think I've tried them all! My favorite is the one I just tried, called Leonardo's. I'm not crazy about the sauce, but the crust is excellent, and they use whole milk mozzarella. The sauce comes in its own separate packet, so if you don't like it, you can use your own sauce.

Thanks, Buzz!  I just passed their distributor's name on to our local store.  Target stores used to sell a frozen Chicago style pizza that was actually pretty darn good, and I believe it was made by Leonardo's.  Unfortunately, they don't sell it there anymore, so hopefully this will work out!

Offline buzz

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 10:46:32 AM »
Target markets their own pizzas under their house name "Archer Farms". I haven't tried one, but they sound good on the package! Of the commercial brands, all I've seen there (lately, anyway) are the usual DiGiorno's, Freschetta, etc.

pizzapan