Author Topic: Trader Joe's Buffalo mozzarella...  (Read 3908 times)

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
Trader Joe's Buffalo mozzarella...
« on: March 18, 2006, 01:49:15 PM »
I was at Trader Joe's this morning in Los Angeles and they have the Mandara Buffalo mozzarella.  Anyone try this before? it's $5.69 for 7 oz.  It was a liitle sour for my taste, I also had some Buffalo mozzarella from Antica Pizzeria a couple of days ago who is the VPN here, so at least I had something to compare it to.
-JP-

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Trader Joe's Buffalo mozzarella...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 12:31:03 PM »
I've tried it. It was very creamy, but I agree it was a little sharper than cow's milk mozzarella. It did melt very nicely on the pizza I made.

Offline naP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 11:33:05 PM »
anyone know any trader joes stores that sell these in the new york - long island area ?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 12:58:57 AM »
so far I have only found one brand of buffalo mozzarella that is not as good as all the other Italian imported ones.  I think I have tried about five different brands that taste exactly the same (and amazing).  Mandra is one of the good ones, so enjoy!

You should be able to use less of this cheese than a normal fresh mozzarella.  When the pie is properly salted, and it is used in the correct proportions you pizza should not end up tasting too sour.  That is assuming you have fairly fresh Buffala.

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 02:33:17 PM »
I also read -- and it was my experience the one time I tried buffalo-milk mozzarella -- that it has significantly more moisture content than cow's milk mozzarella and that it must be "drained" or "dried out" before use, which is what they do in Italy.  Otherwise, it will not melt properly.  I suppose I could try draining it on paper towels, but does anyone know how the Italian pizzerias do it?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 01:54:27 AM »
I know that the owner of lombardi's in NYC reccomends hanging in the fridge (cooler) with cheese cloth to extract moisture.  I opt to slice the cheese then lay it out on paper towels.  After about 20 minutes I repace the old paper towels until the cheese stops profusely sweating.  This takes from one to five replacements depending on the age of the mozzarella.

pizzapan