Author Topic: Bubalus Bubalis  (Read 2045 times)

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
Bubalus Bubalis
« on: April 22, 2006, 04:14:11 PM »
I am venturing off into uncharted waters.............for me anyway. I picked up a small ball today (see subject) at my local Italian deli. It smells a little bad, not definately over the top but not really fresh either (This is the water that it is packed in that I am referring to). But I am not sure how it should smell. Those of you that have used this stuff, can you tell me how a fresh ball should smell. Since I have never used fresh mozzrella (cow or buffalo) I don't have a reference point.

Thanks,
Dan

Offline pietradoro

Re: Bubalus Bubalis
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 06:27:21 PM »
I've been using Bubalus Bubalis since last October and buy it locally in Los Angeles.  It is delivered to the store I get it from twice or three times per week.  If unopened it should easily last ten days to 2 weeks.  Just purchased, but opened and resealed with no air, but in its original liquid (buffalo milk and whey), I've gotten a good week plus before it started to smell off and fall apart.  If you just bought it and it doesn't have a pleasant smell, then you should return it.  I have never had to return it.  Also, buffalo milk is more sour/tangy than cows milk, so there is that fact to take into consideration when testing for off smells and tastes.

Just FYI, I tried their smoked mozzarella di buffala (scamorza) today, and I thought it was excellent: delicate, smoky and flavorful.  Good stuff.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 06:35:34 PM »
Dan --

If you're talking about Bubalis buffalo mozzerella, I use it frequently.  It's good stuff as long as you drain it well (high water content).  The buffalo milk cheese in my experience definitely has more of a tang, both odor and flavor wise, than the cow's milk variety.  That could be what you are noticing.  I find it adds a lot of character to my pizzas.  Give it a try.  I have a feeling that the cheese you bought is fine, just different than the usual.  Let me know what you think.

-- Glutenboy   :pizza:
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 08:33:55 PM »
Thanks to you both for the reply. I am excited to try it and I think what I am smelling is just the sour/tangy-ness you refer to. The tag that came on the package says to soak it (in the package) in warm water for 15 minutes before serving to enhance the full flavor of the cheese. Since I am going to be baking it at 550* I doubt this is necessary. I am going to be using it in just an hour or two so I'll report back on it soon.

Dan

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 09:29:56 AM »
Okay, made a Pizza Margharite with the Bubalis and although it was very good, I can't say I enjoyed it any more than the other pizzas that were made with "off the shelf" mozza balls. One thing for sure, it melted and puddled more than any other mozz I have used and I was a little dissapointed in that, however I also think I may have used too much.

On the other hand, my wife loved it sliced thin, fresh off the ball! ;)

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 12:03:35 AM »
i just came across their website... buffalo mozz made in USA eh?