Author Topic: Calzone recipes??  (Read 3985 times)

Offline mama mia

• I'm a llama!
Calzone recipes??
« on: April 16, 2004, 04:37:55 PM »
would anyone care to share thier favorite calzone recipes? Do you make a specific dough? What are your fillings?   I have heard people to not use sauce in the calzone itself, but to just dip it in tomato sauce...
anywho, please share  ;D ;D ;D

Offline LMU Pizza Man

• I'm a not a llama! But I caddied for him once.
Re:Calzone recipes??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 05:14:10 AM »
I have come to love calzones more than pizzas. There is something that happen inside that little 'pizza dough oven' that creates some remarkable tastes.

I use the same pizza dough. Rolled thin. I usually add sauce first, then pep, garlic, onions, bell pepper and cheese. I usually put enough sauce in so it squeezes out once cooked. This gives me  extra for the thick parts along the sides. Gotta use an egg wash on the top of the dough to get a crisp, golden crust. Make sure you cook it enough, the insides take a while to cook depending on the dough thickness and ingredients. I'll try to get some pics next time I make one.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Offline mama mia

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 10:28:18 AM »
I just read the other post about Calzones... oooppss  ;D

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 10:56:06 AM »
I always use sauce in my calzones(pizza sandwiches). It blends together like a chicago deep dish.

I also do not fold it over like tradition but instead  place the toppings in the center and fold it in on itself.

The local chain of Carbone's Pizzeria's have been making it this way for almost 40 years and  I think is the best way to fold one. Just because you never seem to get any calzone explosions or topping seepage. 8)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 10:57:00 AM by Foccaciaman »
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline LMU Pizza Man

• I'm a not a llama! But I caddied for him once.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 12:06:47 PM »
Interesting. I'll have to try that.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 10:47:02 PM »
It's much more manageable to make without the sauce.

stock

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 11:54:09 PM »
I also do not fold it over like tradition but instead  place the toppings in the center and fold it in on itself.

i've tried to imagine how this works, but i'm just not visualizing it.  how exactly does this work?  is it something like the reverse of a flower opening in that the toppings are contained within the 'petals' that come together above the center of the circle of dough?  sorry for asking to have something so simple explained in, well, an even more simple manner. :)
-scott

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 01:00:17 AM »
Make 10 inch thin crust pizza dough you can even roll it if you like , irregular shape mattter not, just basic size.

place toppings in center and slightly elongated pretending you are filling a burrito.

add sauce mix together.

Fold right and left side onto topping, they should not even be able to touch, only coming over the topping about 2 inches.

bring bottom part up and over the toppings and two side flaps.

fold top down.
Presto Chango you have made a pizza sandwich. ;D ;D

stock

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 11:58:58 AM »
RoadPizza: thank you very much--that was certainly quite helpful.  as an aside, it seems that pretty much any pizza dough that you touch comes out nicely shaped and aesthetically appealing; i may be jealous. :)
-scott

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 05:37:57 PM »
No.  That's not true.  Everyone deals with bad dough all the time - it's a fact of life in a chain restaurant.  Once you have enough experience (and hopefully learned from it), you can make pizza with dough that most people consider bad.

RoadPizza: thank you very much--that was certainly quite helpful.  as an aside, it seems that pretty much any pizza dough that you touch comes out nicely shaped and aesthetically appealing; i may be jealous. :)
-scott

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 12:34:28 AM »
Very nice visual on the calzones ;D

Offline mama mia

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2004, 11:57:25 AM »
oh man!!!!!    :o delish! thanks for that!

RoadPizza,  what type of dough recipe do you prefer for a calzone???
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 11:58:53 AM by mama mia »

pizzapan