Author Topic: La Valle D.O.P. San Marzano  (Read 4929 times)

Offline pizzagirl

La Valle D.O.P. San Marzano
« on: July 27, 2006, 05:32:03 PM »
I just stocked the pantry with some La Valle Pomodoro San Marzano D.O.P. Tomatoes 35 OZ, and some La Valle San Marzano Italian Peeled Tomatoes, Non-D.O.P. 14 OZ. I also got a can of Escalon 6 in 1 for deep dish 1Lb 12 Oz. I have not seen many posts regarding the La Valle products. I have read many regarding the Escalon 6 in 1. I am a fan of the Grimaldi / Lombardi style pie, and Gino's East for Deep dish. What does everyone think overall about the La Valle D.O.P.? For the reason that I am in Arizona and our tomatoes are terrible at best ( They taste like yard weeds because of our dry desert conditions ) It does not matter what you add to them. I was blown away at the flavors of these D.O.P. straight out of the can and think they are great! Would any one like to comment?     
Your worst day at Grimaldi's, is better than your best day fishing ...

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: La Valle D.O.P. San Marzano
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 07:10:03 PM »
Pizzagirl,  I think you have yourself a winner there with that collection of tomatoes.  I think you will find that the san marzanos, and even the other Italian La Valle tomatoes will easily give you that old school NY pizza sauce.  Grimaldi's is one of my absolute favorites and either one of these should be very close to their sauce.  Just make sure you don't add too much seasoning, and don't cook it before you make your pizza.  Maybe a little sprinkle here or there on top of it before you bake your pizza and you will be in heaven.

The escalon's are also at the top of the heap as far as the California tomato style.  I don't think you could have found a better collection!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 07:22:21 PM »
pizzagirl,

I agree with scott. The LaValle DOP San Marzanos were the first San Marzanos I tried when I made my first Neapolitan style pizzas several years ago. Fortunately, I am able to find them locally and wouldn't hesitate to use them once I run out of my current supply of the San Marzanos.

Peter

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 10:29:37 PM »
I have some LaValle San Marzano in puree with basil.  Do I smush and drain the tomatoes as usual or, because these are in puree, do I keep them in the puree and smush it all together?  If I keep the tomatoes in the puree, will the resulting sauce be thick enough to put directly on the dough?

Offline pizzagirl

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 06:34:51 PM »
Great product, here is my 1-2-3 Method. The method is the same for all of my canned La Valle San Marzanos. Others may disagree with me on this but I like to warm the sauce first because it tastes totally different warm than out of the can cold. Step #1, Put contents into a oven safe pot or pan. Why I say a oven pot or pan is for the reason that on my range top even at the lowest possible setting it is too hot and it will eventually begin to boil and reduce the sauce. You do not want to lose any of the great flavor. In the oven at the lowest possible setting it will warm nice and slow and even. You can walk away for hours and not worry about it. Step #2, as the contents begins warm use a potato masher gently to crush the contents without disturbing the seeds. Treat this sauce like a baby. Don't stir it like a caveman. Repeat this process until you have the consistency you are looking for. This is much better to do warm than cold out of the can. I do not season mine, it is up to you to experiment, watch out for lightning from the sky. Step #3 is to enjoy. Not only is this the Snizzle Rizzle Drizzle over pie, it's great stock out of the can over pasta and breads etc. It's a good idea to keep some around the house at all times.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 07:03:53 PM »
Pizzagirl, nice pics and an excellent reducing method.  I do the same thing as you, but first I crush and drain the tomatoes right out of the can.  I set aside the thick tomato product and only reduce the liquid that was left over after straining.  I then add the now thickened juice back in so that only part of the tomatoes have been cooked before use.  I could be wrong, but I think this method might end up giving your pizza a slightly fresher flavor than if you reduce the whole can.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 07:50:28 PM by scott r »

Offline pizzagirl

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 08:44:27 PM »
I would have to agree with you Scott. The San Marzano's are hard to come by so I'm trying to squeeze out every drop. If I can figure out a way of eating the can, I will post that later. I forgot to mention the Passata Di Pomodoro Puree. If anyone is a V-8 or Clamato or Bloody Mary fan, this is great. If you can't order a Lombardi's or Grimaldi's Pizza tonight you can drink one. Seeing it's the weekend, just add some beer or vodka. It Say's "With Basil" Their not kidding. I have a full leaf floating in the glass. Everyone have a good weekend, and pictures are still worth a thousand words ....

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 06:33:24 PM »
Here, in New York City, I can find the "regular" La Valle tomatoes, but not the D.O.P.  Does anyone know where I can either (a) find the D.O.P. La Valle in NYC or (b) order it online?  Thanks.

Gene

Offline tonyp0387

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 05:34:30 PM »
I do not think the LaValle DOPs are very good i just opened up a can and they are small and have no color a lot of the DOPs i've been seeing are not looking very good. I do beleive the regular LaValles are excellent though  nice color, size, not very watery.
and good flavor I make my marinara sauce with these ......

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 06:31:21 PM »
Pizza Girl, Be careful using that cast iron skillet for the tomatoes. Because of the acid in the toms it can give them a metallic taste.  ;)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »
Im bringing this old topic back to life,hopefully....Just wanted to ask if anyone today is still using these tomatoes and if so,are they still good or have they changed in quality?
 :)
-Bill

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 05:44:13 PM »
i found some DOP La Valles a couple of weeks ago and thought they were very good.  the puree was nice and thick and the flavor was good. 
bill

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 09:02:26 PM »
i found some DOP La Valles a couple of weeks ago and thought they were very good.  the puree was nice and thick and the flavor was good. 
bill

Bill,
Thanks for the info! I want to try new stuff all the time,and this sounds like something worth spending the money to find out.
 :)
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »
Eat the can huh?  Now that's something I haven't tried.   I tried a big can of La Valle SM and thought they were decent.  The Stanislaus La Cucinas are better IMO.

Chau