Author Topic: Help...trying to duplicate a different kind of pizza  (Read 1343 times)

Offline AZpiemaker

• I Love Pizza!
Help...trying to duplicate a different kind of pizza
« on: July 27, 2006, 06:11:04 PM »
I'm an Illinois transplant out to Arizona 18 years ago. I've got my Malnati deep dish recipe down and a favorite traditional dough. Here's the challenge.
There was a pizza place out here in Scottsdale, on 68th St just north of McDowell. It closed about 15 years ago and darn if I can even remember its name. I'll repost when it comes to me.
Their specialty was a deep dish pizza that was different from anything that I've ever had before or since. It filled a deep dish pan and to look at it - it looked like all dough. But to bite into it, it was a mass of the lightest, airest dough with a nice buttery greasy crispness (almost like a fried crispness) to the top sides and bottom to it. (Somewhere between a croissant and a thick dough, but much closer to the croissant lightness) The baked dough was like biting into a dough that was mostly air. The cheese and bits of chunky tomato sauce, along with toppings, was cut into it like a marble cake. We always said it really wasn't pizza, it was a pizza casserole.
And about once a month at least, we had to have it. When we wanted pizza we went somewhere else, but when we wanted this whateveritwas we just had to have it.
Anyone ever encounter a pizza like this anywhere else? Any recipes?

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re: Help...trying to duplicate a different kind of pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 06:18:13 PM »
You've got another Chicago staple coming your way. Vito and Nick's is opening in October on Bell Road.

Offline buzz

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 09:09:44 AM »
Was it Spinato's? I've had a lot of really bad pizza in Phoenix (never tried this one, though).

Why not try a croissant recipe and see what happens?

Offline AZpiemaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 07:40:19 PM »
A buddy finally remembered the name of the place, its was "Bitz n Pizzas" on  68 th St just north of McDowell in Scottsdale.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 04:35:05 AM »
AZpiemaker,

It could be a number of things.  The two most likely candidates are one, using a special hand kneading technique, and two, using a solid fat (e.g. butter, margarine, shortening) in the crust along with high moisture and double-acting baking powder (in addition to the yeast).  I've used a kneading technique for creating croissant-like crusts before, so it might be the one you want to try first.  Instead of kneading in a mixer, hand-knead your dough on a flat surface by doing the following:

1) Loosely form a ball of dough
2) Press out your dough into the shape of a rounded rectangle with a thickness roughly 3x your finished thickness and fold in half
3) Pick it up and stretch the dough in the other direction (once again forming a rounded rectangle), place the dough back on your surface, and fold in half
4) Repeat steps 2 & 3 about 16 times or until the dough is smooth
5) Tuck the dough into a ball so that it has a nice tight skin and press gently against your surface to make sure the dough is sealed on the bottom

If you have to punch it down for any reason during the rise, just tuck the ball tighter to force some of the air out.

- red.november

pizzapan