Author Topic: Neapolitan pie with fresh porcinis and tomatoes  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Neapolitan pie with fresh porcinis and tomatoes
« on: July 28, 2006, 04:05:31 PM »
Thanks to some good rains this year, we collected a bumper crop of porcini mushrooms (Boletus edulis) this week. And the tomatoes from our garden are starting to ripen (although no San Marzanos yet):

Here is a photo of the toppings and the pie I baked for lunch today.

Bill/SFNM

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
Re: Neapolitan pie with fresh porcinis and tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 09:50:27 PM »
That is one nice looking pie.  I really wish I had your oven.  What does one of those Earthstone ovens cost?

You are lucky to live where you live, most of the boletus here are eaten by worms when I find them.  Are you an amateur mycologist, or more of an expert? 

As for tomatoes ...
What variety are those tomatoes in the picture?  How did you prepare them for the pizza?  It looks like you made a sauce.   If so, what is your recipe/procedure?

I have harvested about 75 lbs of plum/pear tomatoes this year.  I have 10 plants of plum/pear tomatoes and 4 plants of the San Marzano # 3, and I must admit that I am not that impressed.  They seem to be more disease prone than my other plum style.  I have really been working on my fresh tomato sauce recipe lately and will post after tomorrow night's pizza. 

Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Neapolitan pie with fresh porcinis and tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 10:00:55 PM »
Thanks, TM.

I bought my oven kit five years ago, so I'm sure the prices have changed. JPY should be able to help you there.

I am not a mushroom expert, though I hope to learn as much as I can about the local varieties.

Most of the tomatoes in the picture are  Maremannos. I cut them in half, poke out the seeds, and place them in a tomato mill as show below. The come out with the perfect consistency for pizza. I just add a little salt.

Bill/SFNM

pizzapan