Author Topic: can anybody recommend a good ny pizza recipe?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline pizzanyc

• I Love Pizza!
can anybody recommend a good ny pizza recipe?
« on: August 10, 2006, 09:50:00 AM »
i'd like to try making another ny style pizza. so can anybody recommend a recipe using fresh yeast. i bought a ton of fresh yeast and i have to use it up quick or it's going to expire.

i'd like a recipe that makes a single 16 inch pizza and a separate recipe for making 10 or more 16 inch pizzas in case i want to make it in bulk.

since i live in flushing, queens, one of my favorite ny style pizzas is lucia's. if anybody has any idea what i mean, please recommend a recipe. thanks.

i have high gluten flour.

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Re: can anybody recommend a good ny pizza recipe?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 10:10:01 AM »
Do a search for the term "Lehmann."

You'll pull up enough recipees to keep you reading for weeks.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: can anybody recommend a good ny pizza recipe?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 10:56:55 AM »
pizzanyc,

As someone who has not lived in the NYC area, I will never be able to call myself an expert on NY style pizza. But I have looked at an awful lot of NY style dough recipes, and I have studied them in detail and tried making several of them. Based on my experience, which seems to be confirmed on this forum, there are essentially two NY style doughs—the “street” NY style and the so-called “elite” NY style (Grimaldi’s, Patsy’s, Totonno’s, etc.). The dough formulations can be similar but they also have differences. In the types of pizzas most commonly sold by the independent mom-and-pop operators, the finished crusts can be sweet or not, with or without big rims, “thin” to “medium” thickness, chewy or crispy, or soft and billowy. If you can describe the Lucia’s crust in detail, or identify a particular style you have seen on this forum or seen in a pizza cookbook, I think we might be able to find or modify an existing dough formulation to get you headed in the right direction. Whether you choose to use fresh yeast is not a big deal. Once you have the recipe, it is easy to convert from a dry form to the fresh yeast form if the recipe specifies a dry form. The volume of dough balls should also not be a problem, especially if the selected recipe is specified in weights and baker’s percents. 

I hadn’t planned on doing this at this point but since Fio mentioned the Lehmann case before I could post this reply, I will save you a lot of searching by directing you to some potential choices for the Lehmann style for you to consider, at this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1453.msg13193.html#msg13193. But I think you should also look at Canadave’s NY style dough formulation at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2175.msg19124.html#msg19124. I would also scan the index for the NY style to see if anything strikes your fancy that might be adapted to your purposes. For example, you might look at steveit’s thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2930.msg25066.html#msg25066. The recipe discussed there is a variation of the NY style dough formulation posted on the recipe page of the forum. Using the index will also turn up Peter Reinhart, Morgan-Gemignani and other versions that I and other members have attempted.

Peter