Author Topic: Cibo - Phoenix  (Read 263 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Cibo - Phoenix
« on: November 24, 2014, 11:41:41 PM »
I also visited Cibo in Phoenix.  It's a Neapolitan pizzeria located in a converted bungalow.  It's a strange location, but it has it's own charm.

I was wavering between getting the Diavola (spicy salame) or the Salciccia (sausage).  After I was told the sausage was pre-cooked (Schriener's) I opted for the salame.  The salame was extremely spicy and salty, but otherwise the pizza didn't do much for me.  I'd say that about from the center to about 80% out towards the rim was fairly soupy.  There was no way to pick up a slice without folding it several times.  It was best eaten on a plate with a knife and fork.  The cheese wasn't on par with what Bianco's house made mozz that I had earlier that day.  I'll leave it to the Neapolitan geeks to judge the bake and the visual aspects of the pizza. On the plus side, the pizza was only $10 compared to $17 that I paid at Bianco for a comparable sized pizza.

The Cibo photos begin on page 2:  http://bit.ly/11rM6eN
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Cibo - Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
Jonas,

You didn't mention it in your Chris Bianco review, but I remembered the name Schreiner's in connection with Chris's place so I did a search. I found these two posts that suggest that Chris Bianco had a Schreiber connection also, at least at one time:

Reply 11 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1163.msg28192/topicseen.html#msg28192

Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1163.msg10879/topicseen.html#msg10879

Peter

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 05:51:47 PM »
Jonas,
Those are GREAT photos! So clear and properly focused. I think I have photo-envy!  I like the look of both of those places - kinda funky. Some might say urban post-modern contemporary..but I don't know what that means!   On the pizza front - the Bianco pizza looks very very good. On the other hand (please take this in the hopefully flattering way it is being offered) I'd happily take one of your home pizza's over Cibo's @ $15.00.  It does not look like they have their dough, heat, or toppings right at all. Thanks for sharing!
Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »
Both places seem to have a crispier, less puffy version of Neo pies.
Maybe that's the artisinal style...is that what the public wants?

Well, I made an artisinal NY style in the blackstone this weekend, and I'm about to enjoy an artisinal brew, a Deschutes Jubilale!  >:D

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Cibo - Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:52:23 PM »
Cibo was anything but crisp.

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 07:57:32 PM »
Cibo was anything but crisp.

The rim looks really crunchy...

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 08:01:33 PM »
Weird, a lot of the Cibo yelp reviews mention a crispy crust too,
sounds like you got a dud.  8)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 10:36:49 PM »
Hi Don,

I recently bought a Sony DSCRX100M3 camera, mostly to photograph my daughter.  It's a very pocketable camera and it does really well with close-ups.  It's extreme overkill for photographing pizzas.

I can say without flinching that my pizza crust can go toe-to-toe with nearly anyone and I'm sure that's true of most of the regulars around here. 

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »
Nice review, Jonas.

Cibo has piqued my interest for some time for a few reasons.  One of which is that it exists in the land of Bianco, which I would think would be a challenge in terms of getting the word out while being drowned out by all the hype for Bianco.  Not to say Chris doesn't deserve praise and applause.  Although I have never eaten at either place, based solely on reviews by patrons (such as yourself) and photos, I have been impressed with what Bianco's and Cibo have created.  One of the other reasons Cibo has held my interest is that it is a name that was used for a chain of pizza restaurants that originated in Memphis, TN during the early-to-mid 1960's.  They were called Cibo Pizza:
http://www.memphismagazine.com/Blogs/Ask-Vance/March-2014/Remembering-Cibo-Pizza/
http://www.memphisflyer.com/AskVanceBlog/archives/2011/03/14/cibo-pizzas-mystery-sign

They went bankrupt in 1966.  I was searching for information about Cibo Pizza on the internet because my uncle had owned a Cibo Pizza franchise back in the day, and I was curious to learn more about them.  I came across the Cibo pizza restaurant in  Phoenix, and that further increased my interest in what kind of pizza they were making and how they were doing for business.  Judging by your review, I'd say they are doing just fine on all fronts.

Thanks again,

-ME  8)
Let them eat pizza.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 09:44:37 AM »
I also visited Cibo in Phoenix.  It's a Neapolitan pizzeria located in a converted bungalow.  It's a strange location, but it has it's own charm.

I was wavering between getting the Diavola (spicy salame) or the Salciccia (sausage).  After I was told the sausage was pre-cooked (Schriener's) I opted for the salame.  The salame was extremely spicy and salty, but otherwise the pizza didn't do much for me.  I'd say that about from the center to about 80% out towards the rim was fairly soupy.  There was no way to pick up a slice without folding it several times.  It was best eaten on a plate with a knife and fork.  The cheese wasn't on par with what Bianco's house made mozz that I had earlier that day.  I'll leave it to the Neapolitan geeks to judge the bake and the visual aspects of the pizza. On the plus side, the pizza was only $10 compared to $17 that I paid at Bianco for a comparable sized pizza.

The Cibo photos begin on page 2:  http://bit.ly/11rM6eN

Jonas, this perfectly describes a "Salame Piccante" pie I had in Costa Mesa the other night. So I found your description and Wood's take on the term "Artisan" especially interesting. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to describing or experiencing truly authentic styles of pizza. As a result, my pizza making has evolved in to a style that "I" like. Others may not and that's totally okay.

The chef at the pizzeria in Costa Mesa told me that her oven was kept around 700F. They used a Giusto "high performance" flour and they use a biga as well. The cornicione was light and airy but not crispy.

To each their own.......

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »
Duke Ellington used to say that there were only two kinds of music: good and bad.  I think that pizzas fall into three categories: terrible, not bad and OMG!

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
Agreed!