Author Topic: Williamsburg Pizza and one day in NYC  (Read 509 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Williamsburg Pizza and one day in NYC
« Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 07:03:31 AM »
This is the other photo of the man taking the trash out that I did not post before (because it was almost the same photo).  If that photo is blown-up it can be seen the basement doors are open.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 04:20:01 PM »

I didn't think the regular cheese pizza could have been sitting out really long either, but maybe it was made before the grandma pies.  I know I don't have any problems with my pizzas that sit out for a little while before they go into heated case.  I also can reheat my pizzas the next day and they still taste okay.  Do you think the oven might have not been up in temperature enough when Tony made that cheese pizza?  My daughter's boyfriend did like the grandma slice he had, but left the crust pieces because he said it was no good.  What else could have gone wrong that our slices did not have any taste in the crust and was so dry.  My daughters told me my pizzas never taste like that, or were like the texture of the rim crusts.

Norma

Norma:  If you take a dough right from the fridge to the oven it will be a lot denser than if it is allowed to warm up, loosen up, rise some.  Maybe that is what happened to that pie.  We run out of dough most everyday and I tap into some of the next day balls (If they have fermented at least 2 days) that are in the fridge when people say that is ok after I explain what will result with the dough.  Opening them is a pain and they take longer to cook because the dough is so cold.  the rim rise is way low and denser than what I like.  I like  my dough to be on the bench for at least 2 hours and to the point where gravity will open the dough with a few seconds of hand stretching.  Walter

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: Yesterday at 04:53:07 PM »
Norma
It looks like you had a decent trip even if you didn't think the pizza was great. I feel like the crust on those pies looked a lot like some experiments I did with trader joes refrigerated crusts, when I only let one come to room temp for 20 minutes like the package says

Walter and Norma 
I don't want to pretend I have remotely as much experience as either of you, but I eluded to what Walter just said, though I did not elaborate.  I made four small pizza out of Trader Joe's pizza dough a few weeks ago to practice peel launching.  I let one bag of dough come up to temp for about an hour and a half, and the second I only let warm up for 20 minutes as the instructions say to do.  The dough was still cold, hard to work with, and resulted in a much inferior pizza.  Both doughs from Trader Joe's had the same date and felt the same cold, but the results were very different as you can see on the top crust in the second picture as compared to the rest. 
PS. I still feel very weird interjecting my opinions, or posting at all for that matter being such a newbie, so I hope I didn't step on any toes.
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #43 on: Yesterday at 07:14:28 PM »
Jake,

No need to be bashful about posting. You are among friends, and we all learn from each other, newbies from experts and experts from newbies.

Peter

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: Yesterday at 07:46:26 PM »
Thanks Peter
You, Norma, and everyone else have been very welcoming, and I appreciate what you said.  As I contemplated it, I realized I am really just afraid of sounding like the little kid that just moved to the adult table and said something really stupid out of turn.  I do feel like I am among friends and will continue to contribute as I can.  Thanks everyone for having me.
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 09:54:17 PM »
Norma:  If you take a dough right from the fridge to the oven it will be a lot denser than if it is allowed to warm up, loosen up, rise some.  Maybe that is what happened to that pie.  We run out of dough most everyday and I tap into some of the next day balls (If they have fermented at least 2 days) that are in the fridge when people say that is ok after I explain what will result with the dough.  Opening them is a pain and they take longer to cook because the dough is so cold.  the rim rise is way low and denser than what I like.  I like  my dough to be on the bench for at least 2 hours and to the point where gravity will open the dough with a few seconds of hand stretching.  Walter

Walter,

Thanks for your thoughts on what might have happened.  I think when Tony used those two dough balls to toss and twirl they were also cold dough balls.  I saw Tony remove them from what looked like the prep fridge.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 10:01:02 PM »
Walter and Norma 
I don't want to pretend I have remotely as much experience as either of you, but I eluded to what Walter just said, though I did not elaborate.  I made four small pizza out of Trader Joe's pizza dough a few weeks ago to practice peel launching.  I let one bag of dough come up to temp for about an hour and a half, and the second I only let warm up for 20 minutes as the instructions say to do.  The dough was still cold, hard to work with, and resulted in a much inferior pizza.  Both doughs from Trader Joe's had the same date and felt the same cold, but the results were very different as you can see on the top crust in the second picture as compared to the rest. 
PS. I still feel very weird interjecting my opinions, or posting at all for that matter being such a newbie, so I hope I didn't step on any toes.

ake,

Thanks for elaborating on what happened with your Trader Joe's dough balls.  I can see the difference in when you left the dough ball warm up longer. 

Don't ever be afraid to post anything.  We all learn things we didn't know all the time.

Norma

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 10:05:47 PM »
ake,

Thanks for elaborating on what happened with your Trader Joe's dough balls.  I can see the difference in when you left the dough ball warm up longer. 

Don't ever be afraid to post anything.  We all learn things we didn't know all the time.

Norma

^^^
Jeff