Author Topic: Detroit pizza crawl  (Read 521 times)

thezaman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline hotsawce

Re: Detroit pizza crawl
« Reply #25 on: Today at 12:46:44 AM »
Shame none of 'em had crisp bottoms...wonder why that is.

good point, you cannot know how the bake should be. i assumed heavy oil and a fried bottom, non had either. so it is good to try it on premise to catch certain characteristics. and as i go thru the thread if i have questions i know who to PM.  thanks,larry

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #26 on: Today at 07:30:25 AM »
Pretty sure I took a picture of each bottom none were dark.I don't think they use much oil in their pans.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #27 on: Today at 07:46:54 AM »
I don't think they use much oil in their pans.

Larry,

You can see at Reply 2325 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg399611#msg399611 there is not much Wesson oil used to oil my pans.  Maybe my bottom crusts get crisper from baking longer, or it might be the higher fat cheddar I use. 

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: Today at 08:06:56 AM »
Norma,

Are you using an 8" x 10" pan and, if so, how much oil would you estimate you use, and do you spread it only on the bottom of the pan or do you also go part way up the sides of the pan where the dough would make contact both before and during baking?

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #29 on: Today at 08:17:32 AM »
Norma,

Are you using an 8" x 10" pan and, if so, how much oil would you estimate you use, and do you spread it only on the bottom of the pan or do you also go part way up the sides of the pan where the dough would make contact both before and during baking?

Peter

Peter,

I am only using 8x10 pans.  I never really measured how much Wesson oil that is used.  I would estimate it might be about 1 teaspoon, or a little more.  I do take a paper towels and spread the oil on the bottom and the whole way up the sides of the pans.  I just pour some oil in some of the pans, and if I think there is too much oil added, then go on to oil the next pan with the with the extra oil.  I guess my method is madness but it seems to work out okay.  If you want me to measure the amount of Wesson oil that is put into a pan I can.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: Today at 10:09:41 AM »
Norma,

Thank you.

There is no need for you to measure the amount of oil used in the pans. The reason I asked is because when I was studying the Jet's nutrition information for a small square cheese pizza, the Total Fat number was very high (66 grams), and when I backed out the Total Fat from the flour used in the dough (12 ounces) and from six ounces of Grande low moisture part skim mozzarella cheese, that still left a lot of unaccounted for Total Fat. And since Jet's supposedly does not use any oil (corn oil) in the dough but only in the pan, that would have meant a lot of oil in the pan (plus possibly a small amount to coat the dough ball). It would take a lot more cheese to reduce the final Total Fat number to a number that would suggest a modest amount of oil in the pan.

Maybe the guys on the crawl can comment on whether the crusts they sampled were oily tasting, even though they did not try a Jet's pan pizza.

Peter

Offline HBolte

« Reply #31 on: Today at 12:25:58 PM »
Norma,

Thank you.

There is no need for you to measure the amount of oil used in the pans. The reason I asked is because when I was studying the Jet's nutrition information for a small square cheese pizza, the Total Fat number was very high (66 grams), and when I backed out the Total Fat from the flour used in the dough (12 ounces) and from six ounces of Grande low moisture part skim mozzarella cheese, that still left a lot of unaccounted for Total Fat. And since Jet's supposedly does not use any oil (corn oil) in the dough but only in the pan, that would have meant a lot of oil in the pan (plus possibly a small amount to coat the dough ball). It would take a lot more cheese to reduce the final Total Fat number to a number that would suggest a modest amount of oil in the pan.

Maybe the guys on the crawl can comment on whether the crusts they sampled were oily tasting, even though they did not try a Jet's pan pizza.

Peter

They pie's we had were not oily at all. I have not had Jet's in a very long time.  I'll get one and report back.

For my 8X10 bake, I put about 1/2t in the pan then spread it around on the bottom with paper towel. Most of the oil is absorbed by the paper towel with a thin coat remaining on the bottom of the pan.
Hans

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #32 on: Today at 02:02:40 PM »
Hans,

I don't want to send this thread in a new direction, but anything else you can learn about the Jet's square pan pizza, such as the amounts of cheese and sauce (estimates), are of interest to me. If you don't mind, you can report your impressions at the Jet's thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8247.msg71152#msg71152.

Thanks.

Peter

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #33 on: Today at 06:06:08 PM »
seems like jets is taking the Detroit style pizza and making it more mainstream. yelp references to it tasting like a pizza hut pizza. different crust flavoring such as turbo crust i know non of the pizzas i tasted had that fried thing going on that pizza hut does. although the dough's were very lite they did not have that crunch on the bottom. i think jets also puts the sauce under the cheese.

Offline HBolte

« Reply #34 on: Today at 07:33:43 PM »
seems like jets is taking the Detroit style pizza and making it more mainstream. yelp references to it tasting like a pizza hut pizza. different crust flavoring such as turbo crust i know non of the pizzas i tasted had that fried thing going on that pizza hut does. although the dough's were very lite they did not have that crunch on the bottom. i think jets also puts the sauce under the cheese.

I think it's a common misconception that DS pizza is baked with a lot of oil and that the bottom crust has that fried crunch. It's just not the case with any of the traditional DS pizza makers.
Hans

pizzapan