Author Topic: Maruca's Seaside Heights  (Read 200 times)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Maruca's Seaside Heights
« on: August 30, 2015, 10:16:37 PM »
Wans't sure if this little post should be here or in the Boardwalk thread, but anyway

Today I had a slice of the pizza with fresh mozz and my son had two (one in photo) pepperoni slices (which I also tried) .

We've been going there seasonally for years, but the last time I thought the pizza had slipped..very heavy and not crisp at all, just not at all what I remembered it to be. Or, I thought, maybe it's me..no question that I've become a very picky pizza eater. So I was disappointed enough that on a subsequent visit we skipped Maruca's for the day..the first time that happened since we discovered it, years before Hurricane Sandy and the tragic fire that caused them to relocate twice. But without Maruca's, what else to eat? We wound up sharing some truly nasty cheese quesadillas  I guess they had chicken,too but who cared..they were just bad.

So today, it was back to Maruca's. While waiting for my slice, I struck up a chat with co-owner Joe. They use AT (natch) , bake in a Roto-Flex on a screen, make three sizes of pies, 12, 18 and 24, though slices (Huge!)  are all from the 24's. Joe's pizza tossing technique is impressive, and I'm very happy to say that the slices were just delicious..the way I remembered them. A bite of crisp, a nice chew, a good amount of salt, but not what I'd call salty. Great melt on the pepperoni slice and the right amount on the fresh. The cheese blend seems to be mozz and white cheddar, and it's rich but not too rich. The pepperoni was nice and thin, a hint of spicy and just the right amount of oiliness on the pie. Requisite cheap paper plates as it should be. Based on the way he tossed those doughs, I'd guess hydration to be mid-high 50's. Not sure what temp a Roto usually bakes at, but based on crisp vs tender, I'd think this bake was in the 4-5 minute range (but could be wrong)  I told Joe to come by the site here and visit..he seemed to be looking for a little credibility so I casually mentioned our resident Dough Doctor. He was impressed and said he read Tom's column all the time.

Bill

Offline HBolte

• Supporting Member
Re: Maruca's Seaside Heights
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 10:19:44 PM »
That's a good lookin slice!
Hans

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 10:24:50 PM »
It was stellar, really.

Online jkb

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 06:59:37 PM »
I used to go to Seaside 20 years ago.  I remember going to Maruca's.  My go to was the Sawmill.  A giant slice from a 27" pie and a Coke for $1.25.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 07:32:03 PM »
I used to go to Seaside 20 years ago.  I remember going to Maruca's.  My go to was the Sawmill.  A giant slice from a 27" pie and a Coke for $1.25.

I was a regular every summer at the Seaside boardwalk from the late 50's through the mid 70's.  My grandfather lived year round in a 2 bdrm bungalow in Ortley Beach(the town north of Seaside Hts) and my family spent summers there with him.  I remember Sawmill's giant pies, the many small mom and pop pizzerias on the boardwalk, Maruca's, and 3 brothers on the boardwalk.  I remember one small pizzeria on the boardwalk that a guy ran and his mother sat on a stool and they would argue in Italian all night with each other.  He took over for his father that died and his mother would always be on him about it not being right.  My mother translated it to us :-D  Getting a slice from him meant waiting till they stopped arguing.  The pie was pretty good but IMO Tino's in Ortley beach blew them all away and that is where my money went for pies. Here is a picture from Tino's with my youngest brother, my wife, and me from the mid 80's I think.   Walter
Smiling With Hope Pizza- pizza with a social cause fundraiser
http://www.gofundme.com/g87yzjvm7y

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 09:31:18 PM »
Walt, I'm 5.minutes from there over the bridge! I would have grabbed a slice with you. Sawmill was my favorite back in the day, but nowadays I think it's pretty bad. I guess I've transformed into somewhat of a pizza snob. Oh well.
Chaz

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 12:21:57 AM »
Hey Chaz, wish I knew! Maybe another time soon ..the fresh mozz slice also, was as good as this pepperoni (actually my son's but I snitched a taste...for professional reasons of course ) :-D  I did see Sawmill down at the far south end..where things are slowly being rebuilt after the fire. On a non-pizza note down that way, I noticed a small southern barbecue place (and we need that..in NJ, bbq is in short supply) just opening on our last trip down earlier this summer. On Sunday, I saw it has already gone out of business. I think the rents down in the rebuilt area are pretty steep.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:22:55 AM »
Walt, I'm 5.minutes from there over the bridge! I would have grabbed a slice with you. Sawmill was my favorite back in the day, but nowadays I think it's pretty bad. I guess I've transformed into somewhat of a pizza snob. Oh well.

The last time I was at sawmill was probably 12 years ago and it was not very good.  My brothers wife loves it so we went but the beers dillute the taste buds, fuel the appetite, and many places play on that IMO and put out a mediocre product.  Walter
Smiling With Hope Pizza- pizza with a social cause fundraiser
http://www.gofundme.com/g87yzjvm7y

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:15:56 AM »
I sure didn't try Sawmill's food, but they appear to have either been totally renovated or completely rebuilt after the fire. They have some very nice outdoor seating that I don't recall being there before. Maybe, get a nice table there and have a pizza sent over from Maruca's  :-D