Author Topic: Antico in Atlanta, GA  (Read 559 times)

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
Antico in Atlanta, GA
« on: August 15, 2014, 08:54:59 PM »
Went to Antico on Atl...Not a review per se, since I've only been this once and I think a fair review isn't written after one visit. Here's a few tidbits...

Overall, it was better than most places saying they do Neapolitan pizza.  The dough had some flavor, but our pie was a tad over charred. The cornicone was not as puffy as I expected, and just a touch underdone. The sauce had good acidity, was bright and it was tasty..but there was a heavy hand with Parmesan cheese in places, which took over the other flavors. The Cheese was bufala and strangely, there was Fior di latte on there as well.  I'm guessing it's because of cost, and maybe the large size of the pizza...it seemed close to 14".  Again, this being my first time there with no other personal reference point, I'd say it was a good pizza overall, but not great. 

I'll be going to Varuni Napoli tomorrow or Sunday, so I'm interested to see the differences. Pic isn't that good either.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Antico in Atlanta, GA
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 08:59:32 PM »
They don't go crazy with the sauce or cheese do they?  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 09:18:35 PM »
No, they sure don't.   The place was jammed even though it was off time (1:30) and they were cranking out the orders.  They have a large crew in the kitchen area and the wait time was short.

John Ruskin

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »
I definitely like the pizza better at Varuni Napoli much, much better than Antico.  Everything was balanced better, tasted better and was baked better.  The kicker...the pizza was 1hour out of the oven before I ate it! I wasn't able to be there so my wife picked it up, along with some great Antipasto and a delicious cannoli.  Here is the only pic of the pizza...I was into it two slices before I remembered to take a pic.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:32:40 PM by stonecutter »

John Ruskin

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 06:20:07 AM »
Here's a pic from another camera of the Varuni margarita.

John Ruskin

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:31:58 PM »
Just went to Antico. Got there at 11:15 am. Doors opened at 11:30 am. 30 people in line at 11:30 am, but no line when I left at 12:15 pm. It was excellent. I was the second order of the day. Here are a few pics.

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »
Those look great. Any guess what the dough balls weigh? Scanning the menu I thought the prices seemed high, but the pies look larger than typical NP. We are headed to Atlanta (1st time) in November for a wedding, & I hope to get there-- but it sounds like Varuni is not to be missed as well.

Clay

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »
I never checked the size, but they are definitely larger than 12"...probably close to 16".

John Ruskin

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 10:38:22 AM »

Those look great. Any guess what the dough balls weigh? Scanning the menu I thought the prices seemed high, but the pies look larger than typical NP. We are headed to Atlanta (1st time) in November for a wedding, & I hope to get there-- but it sounds like Varuni is not to be missed as well.

Clay

Their boxes are 14" and their pizzas barely fit, so they are pushing 15" on their pizzas. The pizza is thin in the center but quickly thickens as you approach the cornicione. My guess is the ball weighs the same as a NY 16" ball. Some describe the style as a cross between NY and neopolitan. It's not a strict neopolitan crust as far as size and thickness goes.

They don't have a lot of secrets there. All the ingredients are stacked up around the room. The "dough room" is clearly viewable from the seating area. You can watch them pour the ingredients into the mixers. They have 3 European style fork mixers. And you can watch them scale and ball the dough. I wasn't able to closely watch as I was with a guest, but you can get a seat by the dough room and watch every step. I am not sure how much fermentation they do in cold, but a quick look around shows a lot of it occurs at room temp.

You should definitely check it out when you come to Atlanta. Just the sight of all the employees working in unison and the 3 ovens is mesmerizing.  Plus the pizza is very good.

pizzapan