Author Topic: A Mano yesterday  (Read 176 times)

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
A Mano yesterday
« on: Yesterday at 09:45:35 AM »
Inspired by Chau recalling his visit during the NY pizza crawl a few years back, I took the afternoon off yesterday and head to Ridgewood to try A Mano's for a highly-ranked NP. Got there about 2 pm so the place was quiet and the pie came fast.This was a margarita with bufalo mozzarella.

Very good flavor..they said 24 hour RT dough. Didn't time the bake but would estiimate just over 60 seconds. I'm far from an expert in this, but as new aficionado of NP, I can compare this to Liberty Hall pizza in Lambertville. For me, the LH pie has a slight edge. LH's bake is a bit longer so a little crisper, a positive for me. The cheese on the LH pie was somewhat creamier and far whiter, sio these may be very different cheeses, though both are bufalo. Still, excellent pie, glad I got to try it
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:52:49 AM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Re: A Mano yesterday
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:43:11 PM »
That's a beautiful looking pie.  I'm jealous!   This is motivating me to go back to the drawing board!  I want to replicate their pizza. 
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:45:57 PM by Jackie Tran »

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:23:11 PM »
It was really tasty and light.

I was a little surprised by the texture of the buffalo mozzarella..though I only had one other to compare to...well two if I count one I made. The first, at Liberty Hall. was a very creamy fresh mozz, which I really liked. The one I made myself may have been at too low a temp for best use of that cheese..still creamy, but it melted into a pink puddle with the sauce..tasted great, but visually not even there!   At A Mano , it was more semi-soft and more like regular mozz than fresh...I couldn't call it creamy..Now, it's possible this was intended and I know nothing about bufalo mozz (including how many f's to spell it with). But do I wish I could have another one right now? Why yes, yes  I do  :)

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 02:37:47 PM »
I know what you mean about the different qualities of bufala mozz.  Some are definitely creamier or tangier than others.  Some melt really soft while others are slightly more firm.  How did you make bufala mozz?? Where did you get the curd from?

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 03:55:25 PM »
Well, I just went out to my backyard and milked the buffalo out there  :-D :-D :-D :-D

Actually, I see I wrote that pretty misleadingly....I meant I tried making an NP...and I bought some bufalo mozz to use on it.

But thanks for thinking I could actually do that  :) :)

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 04:01:17 PM »
I didn't think that was the case but I had to ask.  Leave no stone unturned.  Lol

Offline texmex

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 04:28:55 PM »
Well, A Mano does mean hand made.
Reesa

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 04:37:45 PM »
 :)   and authentic it was.The guys making the pies were wearing Caputo tee shirts and spoke Italian...It was a great looking place too

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 05:23:32 PM »
That's a beautiful looking pie.  I'm jealous!   This is motivating me to go back to the drawing board!  I want to replicate their pizza.

^^^
Hans

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 10:02:21 PM »
not sure john from flirting with fire is on much. he knows this dough and method very well.