Author Topic: Pizza Margherita at Happy Italy's  (Read 140 times)

Offline Ovenray

Pizza Margherita at Happy Italy's
« on: October 13, 2016, 06:30:06 PM »
For quite some time I have only tasted my own creations but tonight I was invited, by a cousin, to get a late night 14inch snack :pizza:

We went to a pizzeria called 'Happy Italy' in Rotterdam and I ordered a Margherita, like I always do when out for pizza. Happy Italy is really cheap in comparison to other places and they have a big forno with a stone floor but I suspect it to be gas powered instead of wood as there wasnt any sign (or smell) there of charred/burned wood. I used to really like their pie's, especially in comparison to my own, but that has really taken a 180 degree turn as of lately.

The taste of their pizza wasnt bad, quite good actually but not as good as my own pie's as of lately, it didnt provide me with the same amount of satisfaction.

The crust was nowhere near as good as my own as it wasnt chewy, too charred underneath though soft instead of crisp. I can only imagine the stone floor to be way too hot in comparison to the dome which resulted in a much too white rim in comparison to the bottom. And still the bottom also wasnt cooked properly as it had the overall consistency of a tortilla, it was nowhere like a really good crust. At first I was a bit hesitant and thought about asking the pizzaiolo to bake it again for a few minutes but it was of no use really as I'm sure their oven just wasnt properly heated at the moment. So I sampled it anyway and despite being way too soft the taste was quite good, that and the fact that I was really hungry.

Another con was the cheese layer (they use dry grated mozz) being totally unattached to the pie, it just fell off...

I used to really love those pie's but my own are way better as of lately, they taste better and they come with a much better crust. I guess the credit for that goes (almost) entirely to the members of this board as I couldnt have gotten this far allready without their shared knowledge.

Thanks folks!  :)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:50:00 PM by Ovenray »
I'm grateful for all things learned.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Pizza Marguerita at Happy Italy's
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 06:47:42 PM »
You spelled it right in the title of your post.  :-D  It's certainly not a Margherita.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Ovenray

Re: Pizza Margherita at Happy Italy's
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 06:54:24 PM »
They certainly call it that over here but compared to the real (true) basic pizza it isnt up to par I'm sure. There actually was some basil on this as well, somewhere, dried stuff.
I'm grateful for all things learned.