Author Topic: pesto sauce  (Read 1276 times)

Offline pizzanyc

• I Love Pizza!
pesto sauce
« on: September 15, 2006, 10:45:25 PM »
how do i make a good pesto sauce?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: pesto sauce
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 02:42:06 PM »
pesto is very simple to make.  I was waiting to respond to this post because I do it all by feel and taste, so I don't really have a recipe for you.  Here  are the basics, but if you want exact amounts you should be able to find some on google.  The obvious part is that the better quality ingredients you use, the better your pesto will be.

I usually start with some good olive oil and a clove of garlic.  I Puree the garlic until smooth. This is the only ingredient that I really want to fully puree.  After this point it is best to coarsely chop instead of puree.  You can do this in a food processor, blender, or even better using the traditional method of a mortar and pestle.

To this oil garlic mixture you can add a decent amount of grated hard cheese (I like romano), some pine nuts cashews or wallnuts, and lots of basil. 

Some people recommend toasting some of the nuts in a frying pan first.

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
Re: pesto sauce
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 08:35:02 PM »
A friend recommended Greek Spicy Globe Basil for pesto.  I grew 2 dozen plants this summer and it is far superior for pesto than Genovese basil.  Unfortunately, I have never seen it in a store or "street" market.  However, Home Depot does sell plants in spring.

Scott's recipe recommendations are pretty sound.

What variety of basil do others use for pesto?

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!