Author Topic: Pre-heating sauce  (Read 1711 times)

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
Pre-heating sauce
« on: September 14, 2006, 10:23:06 AM »
I was wondering if it makes any sense to pre-heat sauce before spreading it on a pizza.

I've found that I like the Redpack canned pizza sauce with just some minor doctoring.  I buy a #10 can and then re-can it in 16-oz jars, which is just about enough for two pizzas.  So I open a jar, use half on a pizza, and put the rest into the fridge until next week, at which time I'll put the remainder onto that pizza.

Is it possible that putting very cold sauce on a pizza is making it that much tougher to cook it?  Would it be better to pre-heat the sauce somewhat?  Maybe not quite boiling it, but at least getting it hot.  I wonder if that might help the toppings cook.
--pat--

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: Pre-heating sauce
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 10:56:35 AM »
I let my sauce come up to room temp before putting it on a pie. If the sauce is cold, the top of the dough is much colder than then bottom and you can end up with a thin layer of dough near the sauce that is gummier and less cooked than the rest of the dough.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 11:31:48 AM »
I second that notion.

When I have to make pies and wasn't home to take out the sauce first I just quickly microwave a little bit of the sauce.  Not enough to really heat it, but enough to bring it up to room temp.  Ususally a few seconds then a stir will do it. 

On normal temp pies this is not necessary, but if you are doing quick bakes this will make a difference.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 01:41:07 PM »
On occasion I have intentionally put the sauce and cheese, and also pepperoni, cold on a pizza--right out of the refrigerator. One example was where I was using two stones, tiles and my broiler to bake a Neapolitan style pizza fast so that the crust would be soft and without the cheese and toppings overcooking once I turned on the broiler. The mini-oven I made is shown in Reply 250 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1298.msg23927.html#msg23927, and the finished pie (Pizza #3) is shown in Reply 253.

Peter

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 05:37:53 PM »
I was wondering if it makes any sense to pre-heat sauce before spreading it on a pizza.

I've found that I like the Redpack canned pizza sauce with just some minor doctoring.  I buy a #10 can and then re-can it in 16-oz jars, which is just about enough for two pizzas.  So I open a jar, use half on a pizza, and put the rest into the fridge until next week, at which time I'll put the remainder onto that pizza.

Is it possible that putting very cold sauce on a pizza is making it that much tougher to cook it?  Would it be better to pre-heat the sauce somewhat?  Maybe not quite boiling it, but at least getting it hot.  I wonder if that might help the toppings cook.

OMG Where are you buying your Redpack pizza sauce from? I have looked high and low for that stuff. Amazon.com carries some Redpack stuff but not the pizza sauce. That stuff is worth it's weight in gold! Do tell.... pretty please?

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 02:31:43 PM »
OMG Where are you buying your Redpack pizza sauce from? I have looked high and low for that stuff. Amazon.com carries some Redpack stuff but not the pizza sauce. That stuff is worth it's weight in gold! Do tell.... pretty please?
Dan, I'm sorry - I've subscribed to this thread, but I didn't notice an email telling me about your post.

I buy it at Pembroke Food and Paper - restaurant supply store, which is pretty close to me. I've also found it at Cirelli's, another larger restaurant supply house, so it might be fairly common.  See if you can find a restaurant food supplier in your area.  They might have it.
--pat--

pizzapan