Author Topic: Dried tomatoes  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Dried tomatoes
« on: August 01, 2006, 01:35:22 PM »
I've got too many tomatoes!  ???

Of course, I'll put some sauce up in jars, but I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on the usability of dried tomatoes for pizza sauce. I've got a great dehydrator that I use for fruit and mushrooms, but I've never had enough tomatoes to try drying them. Will they be good reconstituted for pizza topping or sauce.

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: Dried tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 12:53:04 AM »
I had some that I completely dried out in my oven Bill last year.I used them by finely hand crushing them and mixing with some pepper flakes,Basil + EVOO on my rigatoni.Quick and very tasy.They add a very intense flavour.
                                                                                                  David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 01:56:46 AM »
Thanks, David. This evening I partially dried a big bunch - until they were no longer wet, but still soft. I put them in the blender with some olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. I then mixed in some whole toasted pinoli. You are so right about the intense flavor. Tomorrow, I'll mix in some basil, gently heat, and use as a pasta sauce since I won't be making pizza.

Drying like this seems a good way to drive off moisture without any cooking which changes the fresh tomato taste. I can't wait to try a little of this on a pizza.

Bill/SFNM

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 02:07:44 PM »
Another suggestion is to freeze the tomatoes. I can't say how well they will juice for pizza sauce, but my godfather does this with indeterminate tomato varieties until the freezer is packed full of frozen tomatos.

Then it's off to the sieve in one big batch!

Offline pizzagirl

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 07:13:27 PM »
Try this one it's quick and easy! Spray your tray tops of your dehydrator with some non-stick spray, non-flavored. Take your tomato and cut your slices as thin as possible with a knife only, this will give you the needed thickness. Take your wagon wheel slices and lay them down flat on your trays. Sprinkle lightly any store brand Italian seasoning mix ( I use McCormick Classic Herbs Italian Seasoning ) On top of your wagon wheels. And presto your done. Dehydrate fully, the wheels are crispy and well as chewy when they are done and what a flavor! Chop, dice, peel apart as you wish. Throw them on as a topping, then cook your pie as usual ... This is so easy and good you have to try it, write back to tell us what you think.
Your worst day at Grimaldi's, is better than your best day fishing ...

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 01:17:34 PM »
Thankfully I always have too many tomatoes! You simply cannot buy ripeness in the stores. I dice mine up and dehydrate them, and then vacuum pack them in small packs. For pizza, I recommend storing in a jar with olive oil,until use. The flavor is brilliant, especially in soups too.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 12:43:19 PM »
Thankfully I always have too many tomatoes! You simply cannot buy ripeness in the stores. I dice mine up and dehydrate them, and then vacuum pack them in small packs. For pizza, I recommend storing in a jar with olive oil,until use. The flavor is brilliant, especially in soups too.

I made some pizza sauce last night with my dehydrated tomatoes in olive oil and it was a big hit (even more popular than the fresh sliced San Marzanos). How long will they keep in the olive oil? Do you keep then in the fridge?

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 02:33:24 PM »
My fully dehydrated tomatos were kepy in an airtight container in the fridge since last summer,and I  finished using them about a month ago.I personally didn't add any thing during storage Bill.

If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 12:47:44 AM »
David,

I've only dried 2 batches so far: 1) partially dehydrated and placed in olive oil and 2) completely dehydrated. The sauce made from the first batch seemed sweeter and more flavor. I have no idea why. What do you think?

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 01:28:47 AM »
 ???I've no idea Bill?

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 09:11:28 AM »
Bill- the more dehydrated the tomato, I think the more the flavors (naturals sugars, acids) become concentrated.  I dry tomatoes in an oven, and have also noticed that the drier the more flavor intense. 
Il miglior fabbro

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 07:30:47 PM »
In oil, in the fridge, I would say they are good for a year at least. I never get that far. Dehydrated and in a vacuum sealed bag...probably years. I have a sealed bag of blueberries I opened for pancakes (they were 4 years old) and there was nothing wrong with them. You can always throw a dessicant pack in the jar or bag. I got a hundred on eBay and use them for my jarred powdered spices.

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 01:22:47 PM »
What is the procedure/temperature for drying plum tomatoes in oven.  Also, how should I slice them?

Thanks,
TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 05:03:37 PM »
What is the procedure/temperature for drying plum tomatoes in oven.  Also, how should I slice them?

Thanks,
TM

TM,

I slice them in half, then the halves in half again.  Quarters, all equally sized.  Scoop out the seed pockets with your finger, and shake off any excess liquid.  Then, place them on a lightly oiled pan, sprinkle on the herbs of your choice ( I mix oregano and thyme, but have even squeezed capers on them), sprinkle on a little bit of salt, and a pinch of sugar, and finally drizzle on some olive oil.  after about 3-4 hours in a "cool oven" (150degrees celsius- or closest to lowest setting), they should be about ready, depending on how dry you want them.  My oven is a conventional gas oven , and I get the best results with the temp at 150deg celsius with a butter knife keeping the door slightly open.  Make sure to check on them every 45 minutes or so, to rearrange them and to take out the ones that dry faster.

Il miglior fabbro