Author Topic: pizzeriasecrets.com - Super Bad2  (Read 4772 times)

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
pizzeriasecrets.com - Super Bad2
« on: August 04, 2006, 01:37:16 AM »
Ok, is this lady kidding or what:

www.pizzeriasecrets.com

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: pizzeriasecrets.com - Super Bad2
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 02:19:49 AM »
I wonder what is "the secret piece of equipment you must put in your oven".

Maybe a pizza stone? Ooooohhh. Big secret!!! Show me one book or article on pizza these days that doesn't suggest using a pizza stone. If her secret is something other than a stone, than I profusely apologize to Bev and will immediately order this video. I laughed out loud at the 100% unconditional guarantee: "If you don't agree this is the best pizza you have ever eaten ... we will issue you a full refund."   I would have no problem spending 20 bucks to learn how to make the best pizza. Anyone actually tempted to buy into this hype would be better served by sending their money to Steve to support this site.

Bill/SFNM

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 09:03:13 AM »
My favorite testimonial:

“We've tried a bunch of your cheese suggestions but are partial to the white sharp cheddar combination. We can't get enough!”

Meanwhile, I'm off to find unhomogonized milk so I can make my own mozz tomorrow.

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 10:12:52 AM »
The website opens with:

"Hi, my name is Brad Switzer, and let me begin with a confession: I know absolutely nothing about making quality pizza. If you want to know how to make an incredibly good pizza, I would be the last guy to ask."

THEN WHY THE %*^@! SHOULD I LISTEN TO YOU?

Then they discuss  "Our secret “licorice” tasting ingredient. This one will surprise you."

Fennel Seeds?  WOW!  BIG SECRET.

Nonetheless, and apropos of my comments re: pizzatherapy, this CD probably will help some people.  Incidentally, a while back I inquired whether it would be possible to compile all the pizza wisdom of this site into a book or CD.  It would be much better than anything currently available.  The idea got a lukewarm response, which is OK.  But it still pains me to see people pay good money for junk information.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 07:18:37 PM »
I wonder what is "the secret piece of equipment you must put in your oven".

Bill,

The next to last endorser talks about using a "liner" in the oven, which I take to mean an oven liner. Maybe that's the secret piece of equipment. If so, one has to be careful because many oven liners are made of a material that will not stand up to oven temperatures in excess of 500 degrees F and, in some cases, 450 degrees F. And they can't be used during the clean cycle, of course.

I wonder whether one of the "secret" ingredients that can't be found in the grocery is high-gluten flour. If that is a secret, then things like vital wheat gluten, nonfat dry milk, dried dairy whey, malt, Crisco and a bunch of other things that some pizza operators use in their pizza doughs might also be "secret".

Peter

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 07:46:04 PM »
the liner is probably lining the floor of the oven with tiles

pizzapan