Author Topic: Skin melting?  (Read 1414 times)

Offline cheetsa

• I Love Pizza!
Skin melting?
« on: August 05, 2006, 10:40:07 AM »
Sometimes when I'm making pizza, I reach for the pan and it burns my finger tips to the point where they would not be traceable by the police.  The mittens I use do not work, can you recommend any?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Skin melting?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 10:52:50 AM »
cheetsa,

You might want to consider a pizza pan gripping tool such as shown here: http://www.abestkitchen.com/store/pan-grippers.html. I think your mittens or a pot holder should work with the tool to help facilitate removal of the pan from the oven.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 10:53:13 AM »
Have you tried the Ove Glove oven mitt? About $15. I use these for my indoor oven. I also have an Ove Glove clone, but it isn't as good. Get the real thing.

For outdoor oven, I have some firefighter's gloves, but I don't use them for pizzas since my hands and other useful body parts are NEVER near the heat.

Bill/SFNM

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 11:01:30 AM »
Better yet, a pan gripping tool and an Ove Glove, especially since the Ove Glove has a max handling temperature of 480 degrees F: http://www.rkdm.com/oveglove/index.htm.

Peter

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 09:44:10 PM »
Try welding gloves.  I purchased a pair for loading wood into my wood stove (heat source, not cooking oven).  I wear them when I open my Big Green Egg (BGE), which is notorious for flashbacks at high temps.  I have received a 2nd degree burn through the gloves, but that was handling a 1000+ F plate setter after it was 6 inches from a charcoal fire for 1.5 hours.  The glove survived the incident fine.  I still have no problem removing a 800 F pizza stone from the BGE with the same glove.
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!