Author Topic: Closed pizza by accident  (Read 1751 times)

Offline ernestrome

• I Love Pizza!
Closed pizza by accident
« on: August 06, 2006, 01:40:43 PM »
So i was making my pizza happily on a sunday.

My oven was heating and i thought it was nearly ready so i started to dress the base on my floured peel. Following varasano's spreadsheet i had prepared my dough earlier in the day, it was very wet (c 61%) and i was using a good bit of bench flour to keep it from sticking during tossing. I topped it with cirio tomatoes, basil and pregrated mozz (the store was out of fresh when i went) and some mushrooms.

When i check the oven i realise it is only at 450F not 550F as i had thought. Uh-oh.

I decide to wait.

When i return to the peel, whaddyaknow, the pizza is stuck to the peel. I lift and blow, one half rise but the other is stuck.

I decide to slide it off the peel - MISTAKE - it does not come off smoothly and end up in a sorry state on the counter.

Damn - what now?

It is too stretched to fit on the peel, so i fold over the edges. Then i think damn i will just fold it all up.

So back onto the peel it goes and into the oven.

Ten minutes later i am eating an awesome stromboli/calzone. It is so good i think i may have an accident like this again sometime soon.  :pizza:

Anyway the point is i wasn't too sure how the normal topping and so on would work in the closed situation, but it has turned out pretty good.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: Closed pizza by accident
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 10:55:51 PM »
Its funny. I just posted a photo of a similar accident on my site. check it out

Jef

Offline ernestrome

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Closed pizza by accident
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 06:18:24 AM »
Yes kinda like that. I had not enthusiasm for closed pizza as one i have bought have not been that great, but this accident has improved my opinion of them.