Author Topic: Easy way to roll thin whole wheat dough?  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Shenandoah guy

• I Love Pizza!
Easy way to roll thin whole wheat dough?
« on: November 08, 2006, 07:20:51 PM »
Hi y'all, newbie here, had a question...  I love making whole wheat dough, but it's thicker than anything.  I could add more water, but I make it in a bread mixer and the instructions say never deviate from the recipe...

I like thin crust.  As it is, I have to press down super-hard on the rolling pin and still, I don't get the dough as thin as I'd like.  I was thinking maybe using squeeze-type rollers, but I don't know if those even exist.  Any ideas?  Thanks for your help,

John in VA

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: Easy way to roll thin whole wheat dough?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 02:16:26 AM »
John,

I think the easiest thing to suggest at this point is to go ahead and deviate from the recipe; just don't use the bread maker to knead the dough.  Knead it by hand.  With that said, I'm sure you can add more water and it's not going to hurt the bread maker.  I'm certain the reason for the manufacture's caution stems from them not wanting you to add too little water, or too much flour.  That can be hard on the motor.  Without knowing what recipe you use, that's about all the advice that can be given for making it easier to roll.  You may be referring to sheeters when you say "squeeze-type rollers" but those cost a minimum of several hundred dollars new.  I don't think you want to go that route.  Of course you can always learn to stretch the dough without a rolling pin.  There are several instructions and links to instructional videos all over this forum about how to stretch dough.

- red.november

Offline Shenandoah guy

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Easy way to roll thin whole wheat dough?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 12:26:08 PM »
Thanks November.  I'm really lazy...  I want to stick to the bread machine!  :)  I'll try it with either more water, or less flour, as you recommend...  Thanks again.

pizzapan