Author Topic: I just don't like that nasty after taste of provolone.  (Read 2277 times)

Offline tuberacer

• I Love Pizza!
I just don't like that nasty after taste of provolone.
« on: August 09, 2006, 08:35:52 PM »
I've been using Sagento's mozarella/provolone mix for a while now, but I've grown sick of the aftertaste of provolone cheese. The family loves it, but I turn blue everytime I have it. I like Domino's blend - it's got a nice subtle taste without that overpowering goat's milk after taste that I always get with provolone cheese. What cheeses do they use on their pizzas? And would monterrey jack be a good substitute?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: I just don't like that nasty after taste of provolone.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 09:10:56 PM »
tuberacer,

You might look here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2533.msg21909.html#msg21909. More recently, I read that Domino’s, or at least some of their stores, are using the Leprino’s QLC (Quality Locked Cheese), as described here: http://www.leprinofoods.com/cheese/quallocked.html. It is an IQF (individually quick frozen) cheese. To the best of my knowledge, the Leprino’s cheeses are not sold at the retail level.

Peter

Offline tuberacer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 03:55:10 PM »
Thanks for the links, pete. Well since that's out of the question - what other cheeses would go well with mozarella? Something that doesn't have an over-powering taste like provolone (perhaps that's just me, lol)? Mozarella alone wouldn't be such a good idea, would it?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 04:15:41 PM »
tuberacer,

There's nothing wrong with mozzarella by itself. But you can be more adventurous than that. I have found that cheeses like Monterrey Jack, mild white cheddar, and fontina go well with mozzarella. I also like asiago (the soft one, not the hard one) with the mozzarella but it has a little kick. Little Caesars uses a blend of mozzarella and Muenster.

Maybe you can find what you are looking for in this article: http://www.pmq.com/cheesey.shtml. If nothing else, you will learn a lot about cheese :).

Peter

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 11:59:15 AM »
Hmmmm, I never noticed a big taste from Provolone. Now, SMOKED provolone....that's vile.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 01:08:49 PM »
I've been using provelone for quite some time and I've notice a great difference in flavors and oders from varying brands. I would blend it with differing ratios to subdue some of the stronger flavored provelones. But some are so strong that the attempt was futile.

Smoked hasn't shown to me, to automatically mean a strong flavored provelone. I've also noticed provelone has a tendence to develope stronger flavors when I store it in the refrigerator. I'm wondering if this would be true for unopened provelone logs.

Lately, I really enjoy the buttery combination of whole milk mozz and monterey jack, with the jack cheese at a smidge higher ratio than the mozz.

I thought I might also mention that shredding your own cheese will have better results than the pre-shredded. The pre-shredded is coated with an additive to prevent caking and aftects the the melting characteristics.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

pizzapan