Author Topic: neopolitan pizza  (Read 2523 times)

Offline REMOISE

• I Love Pizza!
neopolitan pizza
« on: August 10, 2006, 08:58:57 AM »
success at last! high temperature wood buring oven,caputo flour,san marsano tomatoes,baffala mozzarella from campana and drizzle a little bit of olive oil and cook very briefly,The result is a light and airy crust with just the right amount of crisp yet crewy.check out the cornicione! Also i briefly handdled my dough and hand streched it but with care and immeditely slid it in the oven just a little bit over 2 minutes
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 09:01:54 AM by REMOISE »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: neopolitan pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 09:04:57 AM »
REMOISE,

Very nice. Congratulations.

Can you tell us which Neapolitan dough formulation you used? Plus any advice you might be able to offer based on your results?

Peter

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 06:39:21 PM »
Great looking pizza.  How hot was the oven?  Did you use a starter and what was the fermentation process you used?

Offline REMOISE

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 06:50:37 AM »
First I would like to thank you guys at the forum...you have all been so helpful.I used the formulation given at the forum :

2C+2T+2t Caputo flour
2/3 C.Water
1 t salt (fleur de sel)
1/ t yeast (Instant)

place the water first in the kitchen aid and salt then add half of the flour and yeast at the center of the flour and mix at low speed and add the rest of the flour and mix for 2 minutes and let it rest and continue to knead with dough hook another 5 minutes and transter to the counter and knead by hand a few strokes and

Devided into 2 and make it into a tight ball tucking at the bottom and put in the fridge overnight and removed out of the fridge 2 hours before using and I was really careful handling the dough.I hand stretched the dough and put just crushed san marsano tomatoes and just a few pieces of torn bafffala mozzarella and drizzled olive oil.I had no trouble with the dough sticking because I used a wooden peel for loading and steel peel for removing.A pizzaiolo gave me that advice because wet dough has a tendency to stick to metal.I do not know the exact temperature of the oven but I heated my brick  oven for 2 hours and to test if it was ready I threw some flour and see how fast it burned.About a second.Also the entire wall of the oven turned ash white which is a sign the oven is at the right temperature.The oven really is the key factor to having great pizza.My advice on the dough...never let it rise too long or it will be too light and just colapse when handled and will be impossble to hand stretch.Maximium time is really 2 hours and just flatten it and stretch it only right before cooking.I do not handle the dough too much nor sprinkle too much flour just enough for it not to stick.Also i do not make my dough too thin it really does not come out too well for neopolitan pizza.I  have had too many flops before.Remoise
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 06:58:30 AM by REMOISE »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 08:14:47 AM »
REMOISE,

Thank you for your additional comments.

The dough formulation looks familiar. Can you tell me where you found it on the forum? I would like to examine it a bit more closely. Thanks in advance.

Peter

Offline REMOISE

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 12:46:37 PM »
Hi Peter,
it was your formulation for a 14 inch VARACE PIZZA NAPOLETANA 00 home dough reponse 3 on october 15. I always keep it because it was a great recipe for making just 2 small pizzas .when using CAPUTO I stay away from making them too large.Large dough is not easy to handle and hand strech in my opinion.Thanks so much.
Remoise

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 02:35:04 PM »
Remoise,

I thought the dough formulation may have been one I posted because of the "2 c. + 2 T. + 2 t.", which is the way I often cite volume measurements.

For those who are interested, the link to the VPN recipe is: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2002.msg17656.html#msg17656.

I tried to get more detail on the fermentation steps for the recipe by sending an email to VPN from its website but did not get an answer. Sometimes I wonder why outfits like that even bother putting an email link on their websites. It seems they answer only when they are trying to sell you something.

Peter

pizzapan