Author Topic: My First sourdough Margherita on Tiles  (Read 1865 times)

Offline ernestrome

• I Love Pizza!
My First sourdough Margherita on Tiles
« on: June 14, 2006, 10:39:17 AM »
The base is prepared from a sourdough culture which i keep, and use strong bread flour salt and a little olive oil. I will be adding some sugar to my next attempt. The base is refrigerated to allow it to develop flavour before cooking for 36 hours.

A sauce is made from 5 cherry tomatoes, some oregano, s/p, and olive oil with a tbsp of tomato puree. Because the pizza is thin (new york/neapolitan style) only a very thin layer of sauce is applied.

Fresh mozzerella is sliced for the topping. and laid on top.

http://img113.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp0256small9wg.jpg

The pizza is cooked on the two layers of quarry tiles. The quarry tiles provide thermal mass to cook the pizza, hopefully charring the bottom. You can see the tiles below the pizza in the second picture.

Unfortunately i diverged from the description above and rushed the degassing and preheating process and the tiles were not sufficently hot for this.

Also because the grill was left on the top cooked a little quicker than i expected.

I had the quarry tiles on the top rack so the pizza was only about 4" from the grill element. As a conseqeunce the mozzerella has broken down.

http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp0257small2pe.jpg

I have not really kept track of my dough recipe, this time, but i made a sponge from 3/4 cup flour and 1/2 cup water and a few tbsp of mother culture. This doubled overnight so i then mixed in another cup of flour, a tsp of salt and two tsp of Olive oil. The flour i use is an organic strong bread flour. I had run out of it so all further flour added during kneading and kncoking down was plain flour. The dough was refrigerated fro 36 hours, and knocked down once during this as it rose strongly despite the temperature.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 03:10:16 PM by Steve »

Offline ernestrome

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My First sourdough Margherita on Tiles
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 10:46:43 AM »
And i'll be damned if i can figure out the bloody image tags on this site!!!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 03:08:52 PM »
And i'll be damned if i can figure out the bloody image tags on this site!!!

I don't allow hot-linking to images hosted on other sites. Save the images to your PC then attach them to your post here.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline ernestrome

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 04:30:20 PM »
Ah ok, i guess it also solves the problem of disappearing pictures when imageshack stops hosting them. Thanks steve.