Author Topic: oven tools  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Harv

• Did someone say pizza?
oven tools
« on: August 14, 2006, 03:23:06 PM »
Now that my oven is at the ugly but functional stage (pics coming soon) and I've been burning curing fires for a week or so, I was wondering how many of you have custom tools for dealing with your ovens?  I'm currently looking into making a set of fireplace tongs in the 4-5 foot range for manipulating wood inside the oven.  Although I'm saving a ton of money on trips to the spa for removal of that unsightly hand and arm hair, I need some better equipment.  My straight piece of leftover rebar is not very functional.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: oven tools
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 04:26:49 PM »
I just use an ash stick - a piece of iron that is about 4' long, 1/4" thick, and about 1" wide. I have other tools, but this is about the only thing I use to push around logs, coals, ashes, etc. I do use a metal (brass) brush to clean away ashes on the cooking surface.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Ultra-cheap ash rake
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 08:02:46 AM »
I made this ash rake from a piece of angle iron and a 3-foot length of square aluminum tube.  It cost me $0 because I had them laying around.  You can get them from Home Despot, Lowes, or a hardware store for cheap.  I drilled out the angle iron to allow the screws to pass through; the screws actually only bite into the aluminum.

You can experiment with different lengths of angle iron to make a narrower or wider rake.  I like the narrower (about 4" wide) rake.

The person holding the rake in the pictures forgot to zip his fly.  Were it not for the fact that his face is not in the picture, he'd be embarassed.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Re: oven tools
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 08:07:07 AM »
I do use a metal (brass) brush to clean away ashes on the cooking surface.

Bill/SFNM

I too use a pizza oven brush, made by American Metalcraft.  I got it at Restaurant Depot, a restaurant supply house (They have about a dozen stores nationwide).  It cost about $18.  Worth every penny. Brass bristles are preferred because they don't scratch the oven floor.

You can get  some REALLY nice tools from Forno Bravo, but they are expen$ive.  They sell an ash rake and brush for about $50 each, when only the best will do.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.